Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ventricular Septal Defect
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Ventricular Septal Defect

Hello, I've gotten involved with this forum due to my father's heart problems  and it has been very helpful.  His problems, though unrelated, have led me to start being more concerned about my own heart problem.
  I was born with a small hole between the ventricles of the heart.  When I was young every doctor could hear the murmur; it was quite loud.  In 1990 when I was about 37 I went to a cardiologist for an evaluation just to make sure everything was OK because I was having a lot of palpitations.  He did an echocardiogram and said I only had the ventricular problem, no hole between the atria, and that the palpitations didn't seem to be caused by any organic cause.
  About 2 years ago at age 42 I went to a different cardiologist to be evaluated because again I was having palpitations (I've since decided they are stress-related).  He was unable to hear the murmur and concluded the hole must have closed up.  He did not do an echocardiogram but did look at the previous one that had been done.
  From what I have read, it is unusual for a VSD to close up of its own accord after puberty.  Is it possible it closed up since my previous examination in 1990?  Is there any other reason the murmur could have gone away?  If the VSD  is actually still there, is there any long-term risk to my heart?  Should I ever consider having it repaired?  Should I have another echocardiogram to make sure it really is closed?
  I don't have any symptoms that I am aware of but I do get out of breath easily with exertion, a problem I've attributed to being about 30 lbs. overweight and not in particularly good shape.  I am also very tired in the morning but I've never been a morning person anyway so who knows if that means anything.  (I know, I need to lose weight and exercise).
  Any information on VSD's and my condition would be appreciated.  Thank you!
  -Miriam