Heart Disease Expert Forum
Ventricular Tachycardia and Anemia

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Ventricular Tachycardia and Anemia

Last fall I have been experiencing a rapid heart rate during distance running and cycling. My garmin was showing extended periods of 220 bpm, and the test was replicated at the cardiologist's on a cardiac stress test. Within five minutes of meeting me/seeing my test he diagnosed me with Ventricular Tachycardia and that I should get an ablation immediately. Nervous about the operation (I am healthy 25 yr old female marathon runner), I decided to get some blood work done from regular physician. My test revealed very low ferritin levels and blood count, my doctor told me that my blood volume was 66% of what it needed to be. I do not have heavy periods and eat only grains, vegetables, fruit, and 1/2 -1 lb meat a day to fuel my exercise. I have been taking iron three times a day and a month later, my iron has improved but my blood count has not. How long can I expect before the blood count is up? Should I be even more concerned than these two symptoms? What should I be looking for? I completely distrust both my doctors since my cardiologist told me that I just developed the arrhythmia out of the blue and nothing could've caused it, and he has not even followed up with me unless I want the ablation.  More advice would be great! Thank you
Tags: Ventricular Tachycardia, anemia, blood cell count, environment, Iron
Avatar_dr_f_tn
It can take 3 months to replete your iron stores and start to see improvement in your blood counts.

The diagnosis of anemia is not necessarily related to the ventricular tachycardia, and you should certainly be treated for the VT, since it can become life threatening. If you don't like the cardiologist who you first saw, then find another one. Ablation is one option, but there are medications that can be tried as well.
Just as an update my blood counts have improved dramatically with heavy iron supplements and my arrhythmia has completely disappeared. I am still confused that I was diagnosed with VT and this issue was not even considered but good to be healthy again!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
To reiterate the prior answer, VT (ventricular tachycardia) can be potentially life threatening.

Despite your improved blood counts, your VT may recur at a future point in time, as they are likely not related.

You should strongly consider further evaluation of the VT; if you distrust your cardiologist, consider seeing another one to discuss a) if the stress test did in fact show VT and b) potential treatment plans.