Heart Disease Expert Forum
Verapamil Side Effects

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Verapamil Side Effects

I'll try to make this posting short.  I'm 43YO Female.  My Neurologist has recently diagnosed me with a migraine type of illness.  Since March of this year, I've experienced 3 episodes of a stroke-like illness without headache pain only pressure. I've had every test done in the book and more (MRI/MRA, Lumbar punctures, etc.)  I had a mild heart attack in March of 2000, cath was done then showing normal coronary arteries.  I've recently begun taking Verapamil (120mg 1x day) to see if this will help the "migraine".  Since that time, I've noticed an increased awareness of heavy palpitations coming from my heart.  Until now everything heart wise has been relatively quiet.  Could this be a side effect of the Verapamil, should I contact my Cardiologist?
Dear De-De,
In fact verapamil should decrease palpitations.  This medication is commonly used for various arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation, PACs and PVCs.  I would let your cardiologist know about this if your symptoms do not improve or if they worsen.  He/she may wish to check an ECG or Holter monitor.
If only your face is involved with temporary paralysis or drooping, it could be Bell's Palsey.

I had it years ago and at first thought that I had a stroke.  It was like I had been given a large shot of Novacaine and my face was numb and drooping on one side.  It is caused by damage to a facial nerve, possible by a virus.

It's a common presentation in E.R.s, so it's probably something else, but thought that I would mention it just in case.
I take verapamil 240mg 3 times a day, which is a huge dose,  I take it to slow my heart down, so that it can pump blood.  I agree with the halter monitor, it will show everything that is going on, what can it hurt?

Good luck!!!
Amy
Per the Doc's advise, I called my Cardiologist.  She indicated that the palpatations were not life threatening and that she wanted to give the Verapamil a little longer try.  I've been on it for about a week.  She was interested in knowing if my episode symptoms were better. Like always, they come and go, but none have gone to a full blown stroke-like symptom.  I'm trying to not let this get to me.  When I have good days, boy do I go with it and do everything I can do.  On bad days, I have to stop and take care of myself.  I've done research into different types of migraines and the symptoms I get closely match that of the "basilar artery migraine" or BAM.  Anyone out there with symptoms/problems like mine???  The neurologist tells me I'm not unique :-(