Heart Disease Expert Forum
Verapamil and palpitations

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Verapamil and palpitations
I am a 38 year old female with SVT and migraine.  I was started on verapamil 120 mg then advised to increase the dose to 240 mg.  At 240 mg, I experienced severe palpitations which woke me up at night, caused shortness of breath, and fullness in my neck.  When I decreased the dose to 120 mg, the palpitations resolved.  I saw my cardiologist's PA who said that I should try a beta blocker, but she didn't notice any rhythm disturbances when she listened to my heart (I didn't have symptoms at the time).  The 120 mg dose is no longer controlling my migraines and I am concerned that a beta blocker will affect my exercise tolerance.  Why would verapamil cause palpitations when it is intended to treat SVT?
I think that in your case the SVT broke through the verapamil therapy.  It is very unlikely that it would cause palpitations.  Occasionally, when the heart rate really slows down some people feel forceful contractions which may feel like palpitations.   The fullness in the neck really makes me think that you have an SVT that could be easily induced in the EP lab and easily ablated as well.  You should see a cardiac electrophysiologist.
I have a similar problem. I suffer from palpatation's and have been perscribed 80mg Verapamil tablets to be taken twice a day. Shortly after I take the tablet (around 10 minutes) I have symptoms of my palpatations. Light headed, pains, eratic heart beat, which lasts about an hour. I have been given 40mg Verapamil before, to be taken twice a day, and did nopt have these effects, do you think maybe that the dose is to high for me?