Heart Disease Expert Forum
Vertebral Artery Stenosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Vertebral Artery Stenosis
Posted By Vickie on April 28, 1999 at 20:44:47
My father has recently found out that the artery on the right side in the back of his neck is being "blocked" when he turns his head to the right.  After undergoing a Cath, the doctor said it was due to the spinal bones that the vessel goes through, they were pinching the vessel off as he turned his head.  They also said that he does not have any of the "alternate pathways" for the blood flow to continue; thus making him at high risk for stroke, passing out, etc.  My question is this:  The neurosurgeon said he is treating him for vertebral artery stenosis, but the surgery he is to have on May 7 is to go in and see if there is a bone spur there and eliminate it.  He is worried because of the length of time the doctor has reported to his employer that he will be out (6-8 weeks).  Exactly what does this type of surgery entail and what can he expect to be able to do when he comes home from the hospital & how long will it take for him to "get back to "normal""?  I would appreciate an answer ASAP, his surgery is on May 7, 1999 at Palmetto Richland Memorial in Columbia, SC.

Follow Ups:

Re: Vertebral Artery Stenosis CCF CARDIO MD - DLB 4/30/1999
(2)

Vertebral Artery Stenosis Vickie 5/01/1999
(1)

Re: Vertebral Artery Stenosis CCF CARDIO MD - DLB  5/03/1999
(0)

A related discussion, Cerebral artery blockage was started.
A related discussion, vertebral.stenosis was started.