Heart Disease Expert Forum
Very Scared..........

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Very Scared..........
Posted By Colleen on December 24, 1998 at 16:36:21:

I am a 28 year old healty female. I just had mitral valve repair on Dec. 8th at the Cleveland Clinic. I was released from the hospital with a perfect repair. Eight days later I went into atrial fibrillation. I was admitted locally in Michigan and went through three unsuccesful conversion attempts while on a Procan drip. I do not think my levels were quite theraputic and my hemoglobin was low too due to the surgery. I was told that for those reasons and that the heart muscle is "irritated" due to surgery is the reason why I am not converting. I was put on Coumadin and Cordarone Monday this week and was sent home today, the 24th. I have been told all this week that my heart monitor was showing short spurts of regular rhythms (p-waves) and that this is a good sign towards conversion on my own. I will try the Cordorone for a month and if it fails to convert me then I have to return for an electrical cardioversion.
Do the short spurts of regular rhythm really mean anything? Is this in my favor? How common is this really? I am very worried that I will not come out of this. This is my first surgery to correct my mitral valve stenosis. I did have atrial fib in 1995 and was converted the first time. Please help.
Colleen