Heart Disease Expert Forum
Very Scared..........
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank

Very Scared..........

Posted By Colleen on December 24, 1998 at 16:36:21:

I am a 28 year old healty female. I just had mitral valve repair on Dec. 8th at the Cleveland Clinic. I was released from the hospital with a perfect repair. Eight days later I went into atrial fibrillation. I was admitted locally in Michigan and went through three unsuccesful conversion attempts while on a Procan drip. I do not think my levels were quite theraputic and my hemoglobin was low too due to the surgery. I was told that for those reasons and that the heart muscle is "irritated" due to surgery is the reason why I am not converting. I was put on Coumadin and Cordarone Monday this week and was sent home today, the 24th. I have been told all this week that my heart monitor was showing short spurts of regular rhythms (p-waves) and that this is a good sign towards conversion on my own. I will try the Cordorone for a month and if it fails to convert me then I have to return for an electrical cardioversion.
Do the short spurts of regular rhythm really mean anything? Is this in my favor? How common is this really? I am very worried that I will not come out of this. This is my first surgery to correct my mitral valve stenosis. I did have atrial fib in 1995 and was converted the first time. Please help.
Colleen