Heart Disease Expert Forum
Very low heart rate

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Very low heart rate

I am a 54 year female in good health.  My question concerns a decline in heart rate over the past 8 months.  In March 1999 I had an EKG done to confirm that I had a heart rate in the low 50's.  I recently had an EKG done which showed a heart rate of 39-42 bpm.  I am not an athlete, I do not run marathons, I walk briskly (3.5 mph), at best.  

In the 1970's I was a routine blood donor and had a heart rate in the low 70's.  In the 80's I was in my best condition, doing aerobics 3 times a week and I had a pule in the low 60's, which is where it remained until the EKG I had done in March 1999.  My question is whether there is a logical explanation for the decline of 10 points in the past 8 months.  I have had a stress (treadmill test) performed in March as well as a thallium stress test.  Both tests did not reveal any abnormalities.  I also had an echocardiogram done in March which was normal.  I was put on Zestril (2.5mg/day) to control slightly elevated BP noted during the stress test. The only other medications I am on are Premarim (.625mg) and Fosamax (5 mg). Any insight you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Dear Trudy,

With age, your heart rate may decrease.  As long as you are feeling well ( not tired or dizzy) this is of no consequence.

It is unlikely to be related to medication.
1 Comment
A related discussion, low blood pressure and faint feelings was started.