Heart Disease Expert Forum
Very variable but apparently sinus pulse
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Very variable but apparently sinus pulse

Hello all! I have no medical training, only a rational mindset. This is my best interpretation, but use your medical judgment.

Lately, I've had what seemed to be heart/panic attacks with all the classic symptoms that subsided in 15-20 minutes with breath control while lying down. After that, I would retain chest discomfort for hours. Triggers: sometimes none apparent, sometimes after cannabis consumption. This happens every 2-3 days lately (I stopped cannabis intake completely for now) and I have an appt in two weeks, but should I seek urgent care on any eventual strong attack?

Heart rate data: sleep 40-60; rest 60-100 usually, up to 140 during attacks. During cardio it can get to 160 with no discomfort 10 minutes after stopping. Difference in ~15 between standing and sitting and between sitting and supine. But take all these except cardio with a high variance (sigma ~ 0.5 mean) - long term data. RSA: inhale = exhale * 1.5 at rest.

BACKGROUND:

21yo caucasian male, 55-60 kg (121-133 lbs), 1.89 m (6 ft 2 in), mostly sedentary but brisk walk ~ 5-10 km (3-6 mi) daily in hilly terrain, smoke a pack a day for 5 years and lived for 2.5 years in a very high stress environment, with irregular but frequent meals, irregular and insufficient sleep (long term average ~6-7 hrs/24hrs, usually ~4 hrs/24hrs during week days with long sleep during weekends) and intense, constant intellectual effort. I do NOT have serious heart conditions in my family.

My caffeine intake: typical - none, occasionally - <100 mg/day, rarely - <500 mg/day. Occasional cannabis smoker (long term average twice or so a week, sometimes (5-10 days span) of daily medium to high dose), no other drugs at all in the last year, at least.

Since I remember I had variable heart rate, low BP and low blood sugar, while intaking 3-5k kcal/day (sometimes up to 8k). I am very thin, with many visible bones through the skin. I am physically healthy (consistent with yearly blood and EKG).

Thank you!
1495448_tn?1326846430
Thanks for your question.  It sounds as if you might be having an abnormal heart rhythm that comes and goes, likely triggered by the marijuana or something it is laced with.  You are young and coronary artery disease (i.e. the classic heart attack) is very unlikely, especially since your pain doesn't happen with exercise.  I would maintain a healthy diet, exercise, sleep well, and discuss this with your doctor at your next appointment.  If you get symptoms of worsening chest pain, shortness of breath, lightheadedness between now and the appointment, it might not be a bad idea to get checked out at a local emergency room more urgently.  Best of luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank