Heart Disease Expert Forum
Viral Cardiomyopathy, A2 antigen & flu shots

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

After my mom was placed on a heart transplant list it was discovered that she had an unusually high "cyto-screen" showing that she was highly allergic to A2 antigen.  The doctors theorized that her 13 miscarriages were possibly caused by her high sensitivity to this antigen.  The family agreed to have their blood taken and it was found that my dad had A2 antigen but my 2 brothers and myself do not.  My mom's problems began after receiving a swine flu vaccination in 1979 (she lived 18 years with viral cardiomyopathy!)  My question is...Is it possible that the vaccine contained A2 antigen, causing a "bad reaction" and starting all her problems.  If so as a healthy young adult should I considered not getting any flu shots if there's a possibility of me inheriting my mom's rather strange immune system. (My mom has since passed away)
  Sorry for the long question.  I would appreciate any information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Kelly,
Thank you for your question.  I am not sure what you mean  by "cyto-screen".  Do you mean HLA typing?  Also, I am not sure what you mean by A2 antigen. Again do you mean HLA type?  If you have any additional information of these perhaps you could post it here.  
I doubt that the influenza vaccine lead to your mother's cardiomyopathy because the vaccines do not contain live viruses.   It's not necessary for you to get a flu shot so if you are unsure about it I would recommend forgoing the vaccination.
I hope you find this information useful.  Information provided in the heart forum is for general purposes only.  Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  Please feel free to write back with additional questions.
If you would like to make an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic Heart Center, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE or inquire online by using the Heart Center website at www.ccf.org/heartcenter.  The Heart Center website contains a directory of the cardiology staff that can be used to select the physician best suited to address your cardiac problem.