Heart Disease Community
Viral Myocarditis recovery

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Viral Myocarditis recovery

Hi, 4 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with viral myocarditis after being admitted to the hospital for chest pain, fainting, vomitting and fatigue.  I had a history of respiratory infection, conjunctivitus, colds, etc in the months leading up to this. I had an angiogram because of positive triponin, and that showed a reduced EF of approx 40%. I was released a few days later and was told to rest and resume activity slowly, however I am still so tired all the time and I have persistent chest pain if i do too much of anything. My doctor told me that it should be getting better. I am just wondering if anyone else was still feeling this way after one month and when you started to feel better? What can one expect for recovery time? I am 36 years old. Thank you.
Avatar n tn
It'll take you around 3 months to start feeling better.  I was diagnosed with the same diagnosis 3 1/2 months ago and still occasionally experience chest discomfort.  It comes on suddenly, usually after a stressfull situation and feels like a burning sensation in my upper chest area that sometimes spreads down my arms and up to my neck/jaw.  My cardiologist did not even want to schedule a follow up echo until 3 months post initial diagnosis.  She said that it takes at least that long for a body to recover after such inflammation.  Rest as much as you can, that's pretty much all you can do.  I was off work for a whole month and then returned to work part time until I started getting my energy back.  BTW, I am 26 years old and have been completely healthy prior to this diagnosis.
Im so glad u posted your coment on here as I am usually a healthy 30 year old. I was diagnosed with viral myocarditis 6 weeks ago and the hospital were not great in giving me much info on it, they said after 3 weeks I should be back to normal. 6 weeks on and im still off work, constant chest tightness and winded feeling, weak and get out of breath easily so not out and about yet, but glad I am normal as you said it can last for 3 months