Heart Disease Community
Viral Myocarditis recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Viral Myocarditis recovery

Hi, 4 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with viral myocarditis after being admitted to the hospital for chest pain, fainting, vomitting and fatigue.  I had a history of respiratory infection, conjunctivitus, colds, etc in the months leading up to this. I had an angiogram because of positive triponin, and that showed a reduced EF of approx 40%. I was released a few days later and was told to rest and resume activity slowly, however I am still so tired all the time and I have persistent chest pain if i do too much of anything. My doctor told me that it should be getting better. I am just wondering if anyone else was still feeling this way after one month and when you started to feel better? What can one expect for recovery time? I am 36 years old. Thank you.
It'll take you around 3 months to start feeling better.  I was diagnosed with the same diagnosis 3 1/2 months ago and still occasionally experience chest discomfort.  It comes on suddenly, usually after a stressfull situation and feels like a burning sensation in my upper chest area that sometimes spreads down my arms and up to my neck/jaw.  My cardiologist did not even want to schedule a follow up echo until 3 months post initial diagnosis.  She said that it takes at least that long for a body to recover after such inflammation.  Rest as much as you can, that's pretty much all you can do.  I was off work for a whole month and then returned to work part time until I started getting my energy back.  BTW, I am 26 years old and have been completely healthy prior to this diagnosis.
Im so glad u posted your coment on here as I am usually a healthy 30 year old. I was diagnosed with viral myocarditis 6 weeks ago and the hospital were not great in giving me much info on it, they said after 3 weeks I should be back to normal. 6 weeks on and im still off work, constant chest tightness and winded feeling, weak and get out of breath easily so not out and about yet, but glad I am normal as you said it can last for 3 months