Heart Disease Expert Forum
Virgin Coconut Oil

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Virgin Coconut Oil

I'm considering taking virgin coconut oil (vco) as a supplement to a heart-healthy diet. On the other hand, coconut oil in general is considered saturated fat and therefore bad for the heart.

Is vco the same thing as regular coconut oil?

What's the current thinking about vco?
chitb,

thanks for the post.

There is alot of debate of the benefits of the different oils and there overall effects on thrombosis and their anti-oxidant properties.  Unfortunately there isnt alot of scientific research to really tease out whether there is true benefit of these substances on overall mortality and cardiovascular outcomes.  So what we are left with is alot of supplement companies touting the proposed benefits of these compounds without hard outcomes data. Some of the things we have been led to believe that were beneficial in the past, have not panned out that way.

I dont know the rest of your medical history, but there are enough heart healthy components to focus on in your daily life such as fat restriction, fiber and complex carbohydrate consumption and maintaing a active lifestyle that incorporates exercise and weight control and tobacco abstinence that are more worth your time and focus.

If you are found to be at an increased risk even after incorporating these measures and subsequently medicines that modify them such as statins and aspirin -- then I would focus on more unproven therapies.

good luck
You are correct about cutting out Trans Fats (hydrogenated oils).
I cut out Trans Fats and my Total Cholesterol went from 136 to 102 and my LDL went from 80 to 54. I eat all natural peanut butter that you have to mix together with the oil that seperates from it. It is non-hydrogenated. I think people would be suprised to find the benefits of cutting out trans fats. Almost every kind of prepared foods and snack foods have them. I eat a lot of nuts and occasionally natural potato chips without hydrgogenated oils.

Erik
I heard a while back that the FDA is going to make food manufacturers put warning labels on their products that contain Hydrogenated oils. Hydrogenated oils may end up being banned someday. You are right that more Physicians should emphasize a Trans Fat-Free diet for people with high cholesterol, though, I think everyone could benefit from the diet.

That peanut butter is great isn't it? I eat it every day.