Heart Disease Expert Forum
Vitamin K and blood clotting

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Vitamin K and blood clotting

What do you recommend a person with heart disease and arrhythmias do as far as limiting their consumption of vitamin K?  Vitamin K is essential for clotting of the blood and wound healing, but I've heard that people with heart disease and arrhythmias who are taking aspirin everyday to thin the blood, should stay away from vitamin K.  Is this true? The reason for the question is, there is an herb called gotu kola that is very beneficial for the brain and for the nerves. I've also recently discovered it's rich in vitamin K. Should I stay away from this herb (and all forms of vitamin K for that matter) if I'm taking aspirin everyday for thinning of the blood?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lourdes
People with certain heart arrhythmias may be placed on Coumadin to thin their blood and decrease the chances of clot formation. Vitamin K antagonizes the action of Coumadin, not aspirin. Aspirin is not nearly as effective as Coumadin in preventing clots due to arrhythmias. I am not familiar with the herb you are taking and cannot comment on its safety.
Information provided here is of a general nature. Specific diagnoses and treatments can only be made by your doctor. If you would like to be seen at the Cleveland Clinic, please call 1-800-CCF-CARE for an appointment with a cardiologist at Desk F15.

A related discussion, Plavix & vitamin K was started.