Heart Disease Expert Forum
Vsavagal syncope

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Vsavagal syncope

I have been having some chest pains and was admitted to hospital last week to have my heart checked out. I was put on a heart monitor throughout my 3 day stay in hospital.

Whilst I was there a visitor came to see me, and I suddenly felt dizzy and fainted. The heart monitor indicated that I had had an 8 second pause in my heartbeat. I have fainted a few times before in the past but never when my heart was being monitored. My previous faint was about 2 years ago when I was unwell with cellulitis.

All other heart tests proved OK. I had an angiogram and an echo test and do not need any further treatment on the heart as it all appears in working order.

However my consultant says he thinks I have vasovagal syncope and recommends that a pacemaker be fitted. On hearing this news I nearly fainted again and would have done were it not for the intervention of the consultant.

Does the forum agree that fitting a pacemeker is a wise course of action? I thank you for your help>

Steve
Dear Steve,
Vasovagal syncope is a common cause of fainting in persons with normal hearts.  This type of fainting is due to a hyperactive vagus nerve.  The diagnosis is confirmed with a tilt-table test.  The decision to place a pacemaker or not for this condition is contraversial.  Some physicians advocate the placement and others do not.  Pacemaker placement may not prevent fainting in everyone.

I guess the bottom line is that if you are concerned about getting a pacemaker I would get a second opinion before proceeding.