WEAK HEART
MY 22 YEAR OLD SON HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH A WEAK HEART....I AM LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS. HE IS A HEALTHY 6 FT 182 LB YOUNG MAN, WHO IS VERY ACTIVE AND ATHELETIC . WE ARE HAVING MORE TEST RUN NEXT WEEK....BUT I AM SCARDE.
I HOPE SOMEONE HAS ANSWERS FOR US!
My son 37 years old, was diagnosed with the same thing after feeling extremely tired and out of breath. He is also active as he is in contruction and constantly on the move with carrying tools and material.
The doctors do not know how he developed it and after two weeks in the hospital and many tests, he was put on seven medications and also carries a heart monitor on him.
I also have lots of questions for causes, treatment and lifetime expectations.
He will most likely need heart medication.  If he does not have blockage or valve problems, he may have just a weak heart muscle.  My friend has cardiomyopathy, which is disease of the heart muscle.  She is on medication for it and has to have echocardiograms every 3 months to check her heart valves.  She was told 25% change her heart would stay the same, 25% change it will get worse, 25% change she will need a heart transplant, and 25% change loss of life.  My uncle had a weak heart since he was 15 and lived to 75, died of liver disease.  Pacemaker can help also if his heart gets too weak. There are many things and new things coming out for the future. Also, there are many heart procedures that can be done through the artery in the leg, so that they would not have to do open heart surgery if they find some heart problem that needs to be fixed.  Try not to worry too much so that the stress doesn't affect your health.  Take care and let us know what the doctor says.

Deb
Usually an individual with a weak heart cannot participate activities that stress the heart.  Do you have more information regarding the nature of the "weak" heart.  Was there an echocardiogram?  Is there heart muscle damage that impairs contractions (measured by ejection fraction (EF) during pumping phase?  Is the heart enlarged (chest x-ray and echo's calculation of wall, chamber dimension)?  Do you have a copy of the echo report?

Your son's physical condition and his activities is not consistant with a weak heart unless the impairment is slight and your son's system compensates very well, otherwise there would be shortness of breath and fatigue, etc..