Heart Disease Community
Waiting Period to see Ped Cardiologist - What is too long?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

My 9 year old has been referred to a Pediatric Cardiologist because an ECG showed a borderline Long QT which can be fatal if left untreated. We have a family history of sudden cardiac death and my 19 year old son went into cardiac arrest 8 months ago from an apparent asthma attack (which they now think is from Long QT Syndrome). How long do you think that a 9 year old should have to wait to be diagnosed and treated? Is 2 weeks too long? I am getting very anxious and am wondering if I should start making some noise.
long QT is hereditary in 75% of known cases.. do you or any blood relatives have long qt? if you've never had an EKG ide strongly suggest getting one... If the doctor really thinks your child might have long qt, i would NOT wait two weeks. Ide take my child to the emergency room immediatly and not leave until we saw a cardiologist, especially since one of your children went into cardiac arrest. Ide take them both to a cardioligist IMMEDIATLY...
Why not call your pediatrician and convey your concerns.  Perhaps the pediatrician could place a call to the cardio and ask if the appointment could be moved up, given your anxiety. Is there a chance you could be put on a list in the event of a cancellation?

Try not to worry.  I'm thinking that if the situation were an emergency, you would have been directed to the nearest ER or first available cardio.  

There are a number of causes for a long QT, some of which are not serious.  Hopefully, the appointment will clarify your ped's concerns and give you some peace of mind.  If your son does turn out to have LQTS, it is great that is has been picked up on, and will be treated.

Good luck with the appointment.

connie
My problem is that we live in rural Canada and the only cardiologist in our area is the one who did the ecg and referred him to the ped cardiologist. I really don't have much faith in the cardiologist that we saw because he wasn't too concerned at first until I reminded him of my other son. He always thought that my 19 year old must have been on drugs that night even though all drug tests came back negative. He told me that my son was screaming out for help. What a quack!!! In Canada you either have to be a professional hockey player or a government employee to see a good doctor quickly. Maybe we don't have to pay for medicare in Canada but sometimes we die waiting... literally.
That's awful!!  I am so sorry you don't have confidence in your cardio.  You certainly don't need that added stress.  I'm in the U.S., so I don't know too much about Canadian medicine and can't help with a referral, etc.  Hopefully, you will find the ped card to be more attentive and understanding.  

I'm so sorry about what you are experiencing.  If you become overly concerned, or just too stressed over the wait, is the ER an option?  Please keep us posted and know we're here for support.

Connie

We are calling our Member of Parliament (MP) on Monday to see if he can help us out. There was a young child a couple of months ago who needed to see a ped cardiologist and they had to wait too long in our Province so their MP got them into a doctor in another province and our province had to pick up the bill. My 19 year old is not at this time getting treatment. He has asthma and the cardiologist (quack) we saw said that the betas would make him worse. But I have read otherwise. I am going to get my kids into a doctor this week even if I had to pull off a "John Q" (American Movie). Just kidding... but I am going to start being not so nice.
From what i understand of the medical practice in canada, 2 weeks is a very short waiting period, for canada that is. That being said, i feel your cardiologist should have taken some precautionary measures in the meantime. Beta blockers have been helpful in treating long qt syndrome.. The scary thing about that ahrrythmia is that you literally go from being fine, to going into cardiac arrest within seconds. Ide call my doctor and demand a sooner appointment, or go to the ER, if for nothing else than some peace of mind and possibly treatment to hold your child over. I hope your 19 year old is getting treatment.
That sounds like a great idea..Ide just try and keep everyone calm and under a watchful eye in the meantime. Long qt syndrome is not a difficult diagnosis, so make sure both kids (and yourself!) get either a clear ekg or some kind of diagnosis... If anyone comes back positive for long qt, insist on seeing an electrophysiologist..Good luck and god bless.
Was just told by the pediatric cardiologist that there is a 7 to 10 month waiting period.
Help!
a pediatric cardiologist is ideal but a normal cardiologist can see if the qt inverval is abnormal.. Try a cardiologist other than your own, because it sounds like you are not comfortable with him, and i dont blame you.. If need be take your children to the ER and insist they do EKG's... long qt can be seen as an effect of certain meds, but if this is say, a birth defect that both your children have it will show up on a normal ekg