Heart Disease Expert Forum
Water or Fluid around the heart?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Water or Fluid around the heart?

My heart has been visibly pulsating out of my chest for months now. Occurs 24/7 increases with exercise and it hurts.   I was talking to someone last night at work and they said it seems like congenital heart failure. He said it was treatable and that he thinks it's either pressing into something or water or some other fluid might be trapped around the heart.

Is this possible? Is it possible they would not have heard the water trapped around the heart after all of these months?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Pomask,
It is impossible to know exactly what is going on in your situation without knowing more about you and seeing you in person; however, hopefully I can give you some pointers that will help you out. Congestive heart failure (not congenital heart failure) is a clinical syndrome that involves both heart dysfunction (from a variety of causes) as well as volume/fluid overload in some patients.  Symptoms of congestive heart failure typically include swelling in the legs, difficulty lying flat in bed due to shortness of breath, shortness of breath with exertion, lightheadedness, and a variety of other symptoms.  Chest pain with exercise may indicate a variety of things, one of which could be blockages in the coronary arteries leading to angina (chest pain).  Fluid around the heart is called a pericardial effusion and can be caused by many different things (congestive heart failure is not usually a cause of actual fluid around the heart/pericardial effusions).  
Very simple tests can be done to see what may be causing your symptoms (usually a visibly pulsating heart in the chest is just evidence that the heart is just against the chest wall; thin patients or patients with enlarged hearts will often have a visible heart beat in their chest).  These tests could include simple bloodwork, an EKG, and an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart).  I suggest you see a doctor about these issues you have been having to make sure nothing concerning is going on.  Hope that helps.
video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x167vdn_push-ups-4-months-later_lifestyle
Only anomaly so far: LV systolic 5.7cm  (normal 2.0-4.0cm) from heart ultrasound back in July.  *I* noticed this recently when looking over paperwork, was told everything was normal. Maybe it's something maybe it's nothing.  Can you tell me what an enlarged LV systolic might be a sign of?

The thing is, I have seen many doctors since this started. Many people have suggested seeing the heartbeat is normal but no one seems to understand why it's so alarming to me. I was in much better shape before all of this started, and much more thin when I was younger and I could never see my heart beating. My chest now hurts whenever I try to exercise and I can not breathe at all times, rest or exercising, it's just even more difficult while exercising..