Heart Disease Expert Forum
Weak Heart Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Weak Heart Syndrome

I am a 67 year old male who has had bypass surgery (9 years ago)
and a pace maker inplanted 6 years ago. I have just been released from the hospital after a 3 day stay. One cardioligist
recommended a catherization ( I have had 4 in the past 9 years)
another recommends several changes to may current medicatio.
The 2nd Dr. described my condition as weak heart syndrome. In
9 years of treatment for heart problems I have never heard this
expression. Can anyone enlighten me or point me in the right direction for more information? Thank you
He probably was referring to 'congestive heart failure' (CHF) - this is a condition where the heart muscle is weakened.  It may be due to a variety of things but most likely in your case would be the coronary artery blockages.  Here is some additional info on CHF.

Heart failure, or congestive heart failure (CHF) is a syndrome of low heart output, shortness of breath and swelling in the extremities.  The most common cause of heart failure is ischemic (secondary to blockages in the arteries).  Other common causes are hypertensive (high blood pressure), viral, valvular and idiopathic.  The diagnosis of CHF is made by symptoms and testing of the heart.  An echocardiogram or heart catheterization is usually done to measure the function of the pumping chamber.  Other investigations may be performed depending upon the cause of the CHF.

Treatment of heart failure can be medical or surgical.  If failure is due to blockages or valve problems then surgery is often recommended.  Medical management includes digoxin, ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors and diuretics.  Newer evidence has shown that low dose beta-blockers improve symptoms and survival in patients with CHF.  End stage CHF is treated with heart transplantation if the patient is a candidate.  

CHF is a common problem and there are new treatments being developed.  It is a chronic problem and must be followed closely by her doctor with adjustment of her medication as needed.  

Further information can be found at:

http://www.healthanswers.com/health_answers/search_get_answer/forums/circulatory/frame1.htm

The Cleveland Clinic has a heart failure center that offers the full range of treatments and options.  If you would like to be seen here please call the number below and ask to make an appointment in the heart failure clinic.
1 Comment
A related discussion, what medication is needed was started.
A related discussion, being tired all the time was started.
A related discussion, weak heart was started.