Weaning Off Beta Blockers
I have had high BP for a couple of years and was on Ziac. In January, 2006 I had an episode of neuromediated syncope. I passed out driving on a free way, then had a couple of more episodes. I was put on Toprol XL 25mg which did nothing for my blood pressure (165/105). I went up to 50mg and nothing helped either but no more passing out. When I am laying around my blood pressure drops to 80/60 or lower. I recently read PROTEIN POWER which suggests that HBP is related to insulin so I tried the low-carb, high-protein diet and my BP dropped to normal within 2 weeks. I went back to 25mg Toprol and am trying to wean off of it slowly (cut the dose in half to start) and am having horrible anxiety, sleeplessness, jitters and actual tremors. My heart feels like it is pounding out of my chest and my pulse is 105. Any suggestions from anyone?
Beta blockers have a mild anti-anxiety effect, thus I would think weaning could potentially produce similar side effects to weaning off of an anti-anxiety medication...and they would be exactly what you describe.  If that's the deal, time and patience.  Do mention this to your doctor.

My husband reacts with symptoms to sugar, though he's not diabetic.  He has high blood pressure and medication isn't cutting it.  Can you tell me more about the sugar connection?
My doctor actually told me to read the book PROTEIN POWER. It is the most incredible book I have ever read. It states that diabetes, high blood pressure, many of the heart diseases, etc. are related to an intolerance to insulin caused by a low-fat, high-carb diet. I am on my third week on the high-protein, low-carb diet and have lost 8 pounds and several inches. I'm not very overweight, just another few pounds to go but I can see the changes in my shape as fat is transformed into muscle. It is incredible! My husband had horrible cholesterol, triglycerides, slightly elevated BP and all of this disappeared within two weeks. My blood pressure is now actually too low 117/72 this morning which is why I am weaning off the beta blocker.
Let me add one more comment about the connection with sugar. Carbs are converted to sugar. The average person eats enough carbs in a day to equal going to the cabinet and downing 2 cups of pure sugar. When you limit carbs, the body can't process fat. It needs both in order to break it down so the body just kicks whatever fat it doesn't burn out. Man can live forever without carbs but the body needs fat and protein. The diet is very healthy -- full of green vegetables, meats, nuts, and selected fruits, grains, etc. I am never lethargic anymore. I have tons of energy. I sleep less. And of course, the best part is being able to get off BP medication and my husband not having to go on cholesterol medication.
There are also some good books on something called Syndrome X which discusses this connection between insulin resistance, high blood pressure, high triglycerides (and other lipids) and belly fat.