Heart Disease Expert Forum
Weaning from Beta Blocker

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Weaning from Beta Blocker

Earlier this year, I experienced a 4 month period of PVCs. During the initial onset, I went through a battery of tests that indicated that there was nothing wrong with my heart. I was also started on 100mg of Toprol XL. The beta blocker leaves me feeling a bit sluggish all the time. My cardiologist indicated I could stop taking the Toprol if I wanted but I was hesitant.

Now I have gone almost 2 months without any noticable PVCs and I'm considering asking the doctor if I can stop taking the beta blocker. I understand that I should not just stop taking the drug and I need to consult my doctor to discontinue. Nevertheless, I would like to know what the normal process is for weaning off the beta blocker? Would you please describe the typical approach?

Thanks! Your forum has been tremendously helpful to me during my recent ordeal.

Roy
Usually, the dose is halved every several days, until you are on just a few milligrams - then it is stopped.
My wife, 67 year old, has been diagnosed with possible growths on the adrenal glands and is now taking 50 mg/day Toprol XL to lower her blood pressure. She is under a lot of stress right now, her blood pressure is fluctulating. Normally, 120/70. Now she has had daily readings of 146/75, 160/86, and 175/110. Could the beta blocker be doing something to the adrenal glands to cause this? Is there any corrilation between the two?

Thank You,
Owen Northacker

***@****

11289 North Carolina Drive
Bonita Springs, FL 34135
Probably, there is no connection between the two, though it really depends on what the possible growths on the adrenal glands are. Some rare adrenal tumors can cause high blood pressure and beta blockers used alone are not the best treatment for this particular type of high blood pressure.