Heart Disease Community
Weaning off Flecainide and Toprol

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

Weaning off Flecainide and Toprol

I have had HF Ablation for Atrial Flutter (only) and also suffered from A-Fib.  Since the procedure I have not had any symptoms of either condition.  I have been taking Toprol 25 mg twice a day and 100mg of Flecainide twice aday.  I wore an event monitor for 30, days without any sign of A-Flutter or A-Fib.  With direction of my Dr. I am weaning off Flecainide by taking 50 mg Flecainide twice a day for one week (toprol not changed yet), which I have just completed doing without any effects.  I now (the first day) am taking 50 mg Flecainide once a day for a week and then stop the Flecainide altogether. After the first day of 50 mg Flecainide once a day (24 hrs.) I have felt my pulse, it is not racing but not in an even rhythm.  Is this a normal effect of the weaning process?  Might this symtom subside as I continue going off Flecainide?      
I was placed on Flecainide 2 months ago, 50mg twice a day. As i have a low heart beat(40 beats per minute) i asked if this would affect this the answer was no. I started the medication and within 2 weeks i started to fel better with no irregularity. 2 weeks later i started to feel teh irregular heartbeat once again. I was placed on a heart monitor which showed the occurence of irregularities upto 10 times a day, they increased my meds to 100mg twice a day. within 24 hours i was admitted to hospital with sever chest pains and a extremely low hear rate. The hospital kept me in adn monitored for a few days and decided that i was okay to go home. I was feeling extremely fatigued, dizzy and pasing out upto 6 times a day. Vomitting severe temperature fluctuations began, i was admitted again where thy decided the medication had to be stopped. It has now been 2 days since i stopped, still with extreme dizzyness and passing out which the doctor hopes will stop. The option now is to look into the ablation procedure. What is this?
I have been experiencing hair loss over the last 6 to 8 years  I am a woman {68 yrs old} who has always had a full, healthy head of hair, thick and strong.  The only long term med I have taken over this period is flecainide .  Could this be a side effect ?