Heart Disease Expert Forum
Weight Loss Prior/Post Heart Surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Weight Loss Prior/Post Heart Surgery

My father, age 86, underwent open heart surgery on September 15.  He had a double bypass and had both the mitral and aortic valves replaced.  He is doing remarkably well, especially for someone his age (he was out of the hospital in 8 days!).  
  He is walking twice a day for about 10 minutes a walk, as instructed by the doctor (he's to work up to 30 minutes a day total).  He has been gaining strength and is getting back to his old self in general, although he still tires easily.
  My question is, before the operation when his heart condition was worsening, he lost a lot of weight.  He's about 5' 6" and was down to about 125 lbs. by the time he had his operation.  Both before and after the operation his appetite has not been great and he has lost another several pounds since he had the operation.  He is  on several medications, including Coumadin, digoxin, Lasix and a blood pressure medication (it might be Lo-Pressin, I'm not sure).
  He has become very finicky about what he eats since the operation and has developed sudden dislikes for a number of foods he used to eat.  In addition, he seems to have an aversion to meat and won't eat much of it.  Another weird thing is, he's OK mentally otherwise but has forgotten about certain foods -- he had to have my mother explain to him what a grilled cheese sandwich was, and when she asked him if he wanted oatmeal one day he asked her if he'd ever had it before and if he liked it.  
  I can't tell whether he's just still somewhat affected by the long operation and it's affected his memory somewhat in general or whether the whole finicky-food and food-memory issues are related.  Could he have had a stroke that affected his eating center in his brain or something?  Or is it more likely that the numerous medications are affecting his appetite?
  Even if he isn't eating quite as much as he should be, I still feel he should have put on some weight since getting out of the hospital 4-1/2 weeks ago, considering his heart is now "fixed" and shouldn't have to be working as hard as it was before.  Or is it now the healing process that uses up the calories he's consuming?
  Prior to the operation he had a full GI workup and a bone marrow biopsy  because he was anemic, and no cancer or other problems were found so I don't think the weight loss is from some other undiagnosed condition.
  Please let me know whether we need to just be more patient and that some of the weight should start coming back eventually, or whether this is something we should be concerned about and pursue more with his doctor.  My father saw the doctor last Tuesday and he said not to worry, he'll gain weight, but I'm still concerned that it's taking this long.
  Do some heart surgery patients never regain the weight they lost?  Should we buy him a new wardrobe?  
  Thanks for your help, this is a wonderful forum and you have all been very helpful to me throughout this whole thing.
  -Miriam