Heart Disease Community
Weight lifting with Stents in your heart arteries?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

I am 46, soon to be 47 in Jan 2011. I have just suffered a very minor heart attack. A couple of the drs. have been very hesitent to call it a heart attack, but I do feel it was one. I have been working out with weights for the last 2.5 years, and was getting strong results. I am very eager to get back to my weight lifting regiment, but my dr. suggest I start out with a focus on light cardio? My heart attack happened two weeks ago 11/03/2010. My question is when can I get back to my weigth lifting regiment, does anyone have experience with this??? I don't know if I am on beta blockers, I do know that I am on blood pressure medication due to my blood pressure being so high when I first went into the hospital....any positive feed back out there would be greatly appreciated. I am on baby aspirin, simvastatin 40mg, diovan 80mg, carvedilol 6.25 mg and plavix 75 mg...any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I had a heart attack (sient) about 7 years ago, and was in ICU for several days with congested heart failure.  For medical treatment, I was given an ACE inhibitor for blood pressure control, beta blocker (coreg), baby aspirin, eic. My hospital discharge information didn't limit my activity. I went back to risistance training without any problems.

You have diovan for blood pressure control and carvedilol (generic for coreg) and the beta blocker will reduce your heart rate, help with blood pressure, and it will be difficult to get your heart rate higher than usual with activity when on coreg,

Lifting heavy weights can spike your blood pressure...the doctor may believe that could cause a problem. There is a vascular tissue that effect the lining of vessels, and high blood pressure or a spike in BP can cause serious damage to those vessels that are vulnerable.

The lighter weights helps the cardiovascular system, and heavier weights helps the skeletal muscles with limited help to the cardo system.

The information provides an insight, but to go into a resistive workout may depend on individual characteristics, etc. Hope this helps and if you have any followup questions you are free to respond.  Thqnks for the question, take care.
The title of your post mentions stents, but you don't say what the general condition of your arteries are. Have they shown you the angiogram and explained how much plaque is present in your coronary arteries? You are on the usual medication for heart issues, including beta blockers and there is no other information to go on. The Doctors could be right, it may not have been a heart attack, but strong ischemic symptoms through angina. A full blown heart attack would have caused tissue damage unless you your stents within 30-40 mins.
Have you had a treadmill stress test? have you had an echo scan?
It is usual to go through cardiac rehabilitation after a heart attack where you are put through exercise regimes which are appropriate for assisting recovery with the heart. You are also closely monitored and you are made aware of any improvements to the ability of your heart.
If you had just one or two blockages which have been successfully treated with stents, and you have no tissue damage, then your prognosis is good. You could ask to come off beta blockers after a few months then return to your normal weight lifting, IF the Doctor agrees to it from your condition at the time. One thing I would suggest is lots of walking so you don't lose much of your fitness.
One thing you need to examine is your life style and try to eliminate anything which could be causing your disease. Cholesterol levels, blood pressure, diet, exercise, and even stress in your life can contribute. I take it you are a non smoker or heavy drinker.
QUOTE: "If you had just one or two blockages which have been successfully treated with stents, and you have no tissue damage, then your prognosis is good. You could ask to come off beta blockers after a few months then return to your normal weight lifting",

....I don't follow the logic.  It seems the comments are not quite accurate relative to beta blockers and "successful" stents. Stents do not cure the underlying cause (high blood pressure, etc.) associated vessel occlusions. The OP was/is being treated for prior HA, high blood pressure, and the appropriate medication is an ACE inhibitor and beta blocker (coreg) for high blood pressure and prior heart attack, and it is fitting to conclude that high blood pressure is to at least to some degree the underlying cause.  Also, taking a beta blocker does not preclude working out with heavy weighs or any other activity and no need to be off a beta blocker. I've been on the meds for heart failure (silent heart attack). going on 7 years, and I wouldn't think of going off nor would the doctor take me off a beta blocker especially coreg...it would be malpractice.  

If and when the medication manages the high blood pressure, it would be safe to return to heavy weight lifting in the mean time lighter weights would not be a problem with doctor's permission (could be concomitant health issues not expressed!?).  The reason heavy weights could be a problem as been said in my prior post.    
OK,I had a heart atttack back on Xmas day "2006" and I had some questions concerning my 2-stints that I had put in,1-was done 12/25/2006 in the main artery in the front of the heart,and the second one was done 01/15/2007 in the main artery in the back of the heart.
The Dr.told me the same thing that other Drs.told alot of other people out there that had stints put in,there was no heart damage done and he put me on alot of meds,like Plavix,Toprol,Crestor,and a low dosage 80mg.some type of asprin,anyways he told me that my weight lifting days were over @ that time I was 45 and now I am 49,he told me not to lift anymore than 50lbs. yeah rite !! I quit taking all those meds and started eating better and cleaner food and drinking lots of water,
my blood pressure is 124 over 74 and I go to the gym everyday,I squat 225lbs. and I bench about 205lbs.rite now,I do know that I am going againest Drs.orders but I am sorry,I am 5'9" tall and weigh 190lbs.w/32" waist and I have always lifted weights and I'm not gonna stop now.
I do have to admit though,I have backed off a little bit,I use to bench 315lbs.and Squated 435lbs.and weighted 225lbs.Good luck to anyone out there with stints put in,I just wanted to share my story with everyone out there that is concerned like I am,that's why I'm not squating and benching like I use to.Steve..Dallas,Texas