Heart Disease Community
What Vitamins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

What Vitamins?

I'm taking Vitamin E for my Liver, I was told by the liver Doctor that it may help. Now I have palpitations and had SVT in the past. What Vitamins should I take for a Healthy Heart?? Please help. TY!
Did the Doctor run a blood test to show a lack of certain substances?
Many times taking supplement if not really required can cause all kinds of side effects. The body really prefers to take what it needs from food, it is designed to break it down that way. To suddenly give it a huge boost in something if not really required can cause problems. Natural vitamin E, as in foods, comes in EIGHT different chemical configurations. Food sources for E are in this order for concentration....
Wheat germ oil, dry roasted sunflower seeds, Dry roasted almonds, Sunflower oil, dry roasted hazel nuts, peanut butter, dry roasted peanuts, corn oil, olive oil, spinach, broccoli, soybean oil, kiwi fruit

The list goes on but the amount of E is fairly small in comparison to the above. Things such as raw tomatoes, mango
Years ago I heard that Vitamin E was good for the heart so I tried it. I also had increased palpitations/arrhythmias when I took it. I have no idea why.

For general heart health you can do the usual recommendations like control your weight, eat well, avoid high sodium and high fat foods, don't smoke, exercise regularly. As for supplements, there are some companies out there that say they've come up with a vitamin for heart health. I'm personally not convinced the pill is necessary if you eat healthy foods. Some of my friends with heart arrhythmias have found some relief with a magnesium supplement but they have arrhythmias already and didn't just develop them from Vitamin E. I daresay if you stop the E, your heart may settle down again. Do you have a liver problem that requires taking a pill?

I take Fish Oil, Vitamin D, and Vitamin C daily to help not only my heart but everything really. Thinking about adding COQ10 and Mg  to the mix. And I take a multi a few times a week.
TY!!!
For what it's worth, I have SVT and have been taking a food-based supplement called "Cardio Plus" by Standard Process. It is a supplement that's recommended by both Naturopathic and Medical doctors. I've been taking it for several months now and it has significantly reduced the amount of episodes that I have. I also agree with the other member's comments about diet - minimal processed foods, sugar, caffeine, etc, and with taking fish oil and Vitamin D to help control the SVT.
Good luck to you!