What are METS?
Hi everyone!

I had a stress test awhile back and just got a peek at the results today when I went for my bubble test.  The stress test was normal, but I was just wondering what METS are and is 10.7 (or something like that) good?  I know I had somewhat of a panic attack during the stress test, which was quit interesting!  I had been up all night before because we were having some problems with our family business, so I was tired, and stressed and in no mood to exercise!  Anyway, just saw that METS thing and was wondering what it is.

Thanks so much!

Michelle
METS are "metabolic equivalents", defined as the metabolic equivalent of resting oxygen consumption while sitting, measured as 3.5 mL/kg/min.  So, 10.7 would be 10.7 times the amount of oxygen consumption.  If you have ever been at the gym, and pressed the "METS" button on many cardio machines (like treadmills), you will see a number.  The higher the number, the harder you are working.  10.7 is a good number.  It's clinical significance is that someone who is able to work at that level of exertion will respond similarly to medical management (drugs) instead of bypass surgery.

I hope this helps.  This isn't exactly layman's terms, but please know that you did well on the test, despite your anxiety!

steph
I met my cardiologist 2 days ago to discuss the results of my Stress test that was done 2 weeks ago. METS was discussed and in my case it was 13 he said. And it is very good he confirmed. He also said that any no. above 6 is good.
I had a stress test , met my HR peramitures, but my mets was 5, I need to get to 7 to pass my CDL chool Bus Lisence. how do I get to 7 mets?
I had an echo cardiogram and I had one valve working at 45% with 1 met.  what does this mean/