Heart Disease Community
What are dangers of Thalium Stress Test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

What are dangers of Thalium Stress Test

How dangerious is a Thalium Stress Test and what are the possible side effects.

This discussion is related to treadmill vs. thallium stress test.
The only risk is an allergic reaction to the radioactive isotope but this is very rare indeed.
The drug is administered very slowly as you exercise and so any reaction will be quickly noted and treated rapidly. The hardest part of the procedure is laying still for 20 minutes on the scanner table. You will be surprised, everything starts to itch.
I felt nothing for the scan apart from being off beta blockers, but immediately after the procedure I resumed this and felt exactly as I did before the procedure.
You should have 2 scans, one with the heart stressed, using a treadmill but if this is not possible they will use a drug. One with the heart at rest and having Nitrates. The 2 scans are taken about an hour apart.This gives them a clear image of what oxygen is available to the heart when relaxed and when exerting. It will also give an indication of where damaged tissue exists, if it exists. I've had three of these scans and believe me they are nothing to worry about. There are no strange senstations from the radioactive isotope and you don't even know you've had the stuff injected into you.
i totally agree with ed 34 ive had 6 of those the reating and the tread mil you will be supervised during your treadmill part monitored by someone watching you and your heart rate and asking you if your ok dont worry about it. the only difference with mine is i had my resting view one day and the treadmill  one another day
i almost forgot i tasted a metal taste when injected with the nuc dye
I've had 2 in the last 6 years, I'm usually a bit phobic about these things but this was a piece of cake.  No problems at all.  Walked away from the test like nothing ever happened.