What are the chances of having a second MI after First, how long after?
Hi, after having my first MI ,and still waiting to get in to see the cardiologist, I am wondering how many of you out there have had a second MI , and how long was it after your first incident? How many of you not only had a second MI, but had one before you could see a cardiologist, or before you could get treatment? while waiting to see the cardiologist to get diagnosed and treatment, what were you told not to do?

My orders included NItro and my blood pressure and cholesteral meds, and to avoid physical exertion so as to not burst a blood clot, if there was one. Physical exertion in my mind can mean lots of things. Of course I can not run, and I am not going to do any heavy lifting, ( I also have a bad back, herniated disks  ) but also since having this attack, ( In April, last month,08 ) I find my blood pressure and my pulse or heart rate goes up a lot quicker than it ever has before. I also am experiencing what is probably angina a lot more, and can noticeably pick up on unusual heart skipped beats, pounding,etc. I know a lot of this is worry in my mind, but I would like feedback on what others have experienced. Did anyone have problems before they could even get to a dr. for diagnosis and treatment?

My MI was diagnosed not just by my symptoms, ( I failed to go to the E.R. when I had my attack)
but by a Stress Test, Perfusion Scan with Med induced Stress. Thank you in advance to anyone who can tell me their story, of how long if they had a second MI or not. I can't just forget about this and trying to do research helps take my mind off of just sitting around the house. Thank you so much.                          fluffypurrcat
Chances of having second heart attack will depend upon the underlying cause of your attack, how far it has been rectified and are there more areas which still need to be looked into. Severity of first attack and its recovery is also important factor.

In my case(MI in august 2007) I have blockage in arteries and damage in heart(due to MI). The blockages can be managed with medicines and in severe cases it may require implant of stent(I was implanted stent) or bypass. Depending upon condition of heart after MI(ejection factor is one of the parameters) the medicines, diet and exercise need to be optimised.

No second attack so far. Though I am worried about reclogging of my stent. I do not know what will happen.

Off late I have come to know that blockages can also be managed by medicines only. Stents may get clogged after some time(restenosis) in many cases.

If you are in doctor's care it is unlikely that you will have heart attack without any warning. Your doctors will advice you on the dangers and precautions you need to take to avoid attack situation.

Good Luck
Hi, thank you for the response, When you had your attack, did you go to the hospital, and how bad of an attack was it? Also was it because of risk factors, high blood pressure, high cholesteral, obesity, hereditary family history, diabetes, etc.? Had you had any symptoms before this attack, or was it unexpected? What tests did they do for you before deciding to put in a stent?

It sounds like it has been going on a year since your attack, and so far so good, That I am glad to hear about for you. I am still waiting to see the cardiologist, so I just have to wait and try and relax. Thanks for the information. I find the more information I get, the easier it is to try and understand what is going on with my body. Best wishes to you
and your continued health.                          

fluffypurrcat