Heart Disease Expert Forum
What are the effects of a high pulse rate?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I'm about to enter a university in Singapore. During the medical examination, the doctor said that my pulse rate was 120 beats per minute. She said that if I really have a high pulse rate, I will be investigated to see whether I have heart problems or not. Otherwsie, the doctor said that my high pulse rate could be due to nervousness or stress. Should I be worried at all?
Dear gracie,

A pulse rate of 120 is a bit high.  Was this just when you were seeing the doctor or is this consistently the case?  If it was just that one time then I would not be as concerned.  If you are frequently having elevated heart rates your should have it investigated.  There are many things that can cause an elevated heart rate including thyroid problems, heart arrhythmias and autonomic dysfunction.  Your general doctor should be able to start the work-up and refer you if needed to a specialist.
Hi, I have a pulse rate of 120 most of the time except for at rest and they say its my nerves..had all the required tests with normal results..They placed me on a beta blocker(inderal) to help keep it at a decent rate. A small dose 30mgs a day keeps it around 80 to 90 while active and 60 at rest..and helps the BP too...Take Care and best wishes  betty
A related discussion, Maternal post birth pulse rate was started.
A related discussion, High Pulse rate 120 / Minute was started.
A related discussion, high pulse rate was started.