Heart Disease Community
What can cause heart-attack symptoms?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

What can cause heart-attack symptoms?

2 weeks after the birth of my second son, I had three episodes of chest pressure over a few days with the third episode being the worst. The first time it happened, I was sitting in a recliner feeding my son. I sat back and it hit me all of a sudden and I couldn't make it go away by trying to get comfortable. I sat up and it eventually went away. The second time was the same. I laid down and had the chest tightness again but sat up and it went away. The third time it hit me I couldn't breathe or talk. I walked to the bathroom with a sensation of nausea. I broke out into a cold sweat and was very lightheaded. I ended up gripping the sink and squatting down until it went away. The pain increased a lot while I was squatting until it went away.

I went to a cardiologist and an EKG and an electrocardiograph came back normal. The cardiologist said it was probably caused by an autonomic nerve. I have not had this happen for 2 months now.
I do not want to scare you, but shortly after childbirth, shortness of breath and chest pain that does not go away when you lie down could point to a pulmonary embolism.  You can google something like 'postpartum pulmonary embolism.'

The good news is that minor ones do sometimes go away on their own.  The bad news is that *IF* this is what you did have, there is a somewhat increased risk of another one.

I believe you should discuss this possibility soon with your regular doctor and/or your ob/gyn.  There are several blood tests which may help figure it out.