Heart Disease Community
What causes significant differences in blood pressure in each arm?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

I have a 16 year old son who was born with aoritc valve stenosis and now has blood pressures ranging around 150's over 50's in left arm and 120's over 50's in right arm. He has been taking lisinopril for 3 months to lower bp as it is causing left ventricular hypertrophy. The leaky valve is causing aortic insufficiency also. Had balloon catheterization at birth to open valve, surgery to repair hole caused by cath and cardiac arrest lasting 40-45 minutes with many complications. Also has a tear on the inside of ascending aorta from cath wire. I don't understand the difference in systolic bp in each arm.
oh am so sorry your going through this with your son i know it breaks your heart, and for him to e so young . i would be asking his cardio dr this , i know my husband had two different bp in arms and it was not good news so pl;z have him checked and i will say a prayer for ya.
> I don't understand the difference in systolic bp in each arm.

imagine a hose coming out of a spigot. The hose branches in a Y into two hoses. If one of those two hoses has an obstruction in it, then the pressure coming out of it will be less than from the other, unobstructed hose.

The obstruction can be congenital, or from an atherosclerosis.