Heart Disease Expert Forum
What do my holter monitor results mean?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

What do my holter monitor results mean?

A month or so ago I was out of the country on business and had episodes of heart palpitations, light headedness, difficulty breathing etc...  When I came home went to see dr. and she felt it was anxiety related. First time I had left my infant son, he wasn't well, etc.... However, still sent me for EKG and Holter.  I had an echo last november as a follow-up for some genetic testing and the cardiologist said the echo results were perfectly normal for someone my age (31 y/o female).  I had three separate EKG's done in emerg and was told everything looked fine on 2 occasions. On one occasion they felt my heart rate was a bit high, but resembled a panic attack.  Holter report came back the other day and GP said to her it was normal.  The results were 1 pvc, 1 episode of tachycardia (heart rate hit about 148) and 1 supra ventricular contraction.  She said all of these can be normal occurrences for anyone, stimulated by anxiety, caffeine etc...  She said the fact that I didn't note the tachycardia probably indicated I was doing something to raise my heartrate and thus it didn't bother me.  My average resting heartrate was about 80.  Dr. indicated that my holter in combination with my good echo don't indicate to her any heart issues.   Are these results okay or should I talk to a cardiologist about it?

Thanks for your help.
Raiderette,

Thanks for the post.

Q:"Are these results okay or should I talk to a cardiologist about it?"

I don't know if the results are "ok" without seeing the actual reports/studies.  The descriptions given to you by the doctors are all reassuring, from what you have written.  Most holter monitors show heart rate variation throughout the recording, as most people have variation with activity.  During exercise, the heart rate increases, during sleep, it usually decreases.

The episode of tachycardia on the holter could be a normal response to activity/anxiety, or it could be an abnormal finding.  I can't tell without seeing the strips.  But it sounds as if your GP was unconcerned.

Best of luck.

My husband (54 yrs old - high normal BP)had a cardiac 2-d echo with color and doppler flow done a couple of weeks ago.

The Dr. said it was normal....but the "Impressions" at the bottom of the summary page were as follows:

1.  Preserved LV function and wall motion

2.  Impaired Ventricular relaxation. Clinical correlation is recommended.

3. No significant valvular heart disease

Are "1, 2, and 3" OK/Normal?

What is meant by "Clinical correlation is recommended"

Thank you

sally

***@****
Hi Sally,

I am not a doctor but looks like your husband got some great echo results :)

"Preserved LV function and wall motion"

Sounds to me like the heart muscle function is preserved, or good

"Impaired Ventricular relaxation. Clinical correlation is recommended"

"Clinical correlation" is let's say when the doctor evaluates the results against the norm for that period in time.  In other words, is the heart doing what it is supposed to be doing during that part of the cardiac cycle?

One other way I can think to explain it is like this...If a woman sees her doctor and says she is 3 months pregnant and the doctor's exam reveals a pregnancy much further along, the clinical correlation (exam) does not agree.  Hence, there is a discrepancy.  I sure hope I didn't confuse you more.

"No significant valvular heart disease"

That is AWESOME!! Some test results refer to slight or mild valve leakage as "insignificant."  Bottom line: Good valve : )

Connie

Thank you so much!

sally
Sally,

You are very welcome!  If you are still concerned about your husband's test results, try giving the doctor's office a call. Most doctors are more than willing to answer questions and clarify any confusion or concern. Good luck!

connie
Hi All,

I'm new to the board and I'm hoping someone out there can help me.

I just had a Holter Monitor and received a copy of the summary/results today.  My doc is away until next Friday so I was hoping someone out there could tell me what some of this means.  I'll try to be as brief as possible.

I wore the monitor for 22 hours 03 seconds

Ventricular Events: Isolateds - 33, In Bigeminal Cycles - 0, Couplets - 1, Runs - 0

Supraventricular Events: Isolateds - 300, Couplets - 523, Runs - 115, Longest: 10 beats, 222 bpm, Fastest: 3 beats, 250 bpm, Slowest: 7 beats - 122 bpm

There was no ST Depression or Elevation.  

There were 10 pauses longest being 27.4 seconds

None of this makes sense to me and I am scared! I hope someone can at least give me some direction as to what this means.

Thanks, deb
Thanks for answering and easing my mind some.  I did speak with my cardio's nurse and the 27.4 seconds is a correct time.  This was the one thing that was most concerning to me.

Although I don't quite understand everything in your post (this whole cardio thing is very new to me), at least now I have a much better idea of what is going on.  I will rest easier tonight knowing that things appear to be nothing serious at all.

Thanks again for your post - more meaningful than you know!!!

~deb