Heart Disease Expert Forum
What does an EKG indicate?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What does an EKG indicate?

I am 28 years old and I have had regular physical exams over the last 3 years, including EKG tests.  I have never had anything seriously wrong with me except that I am about 20 pounds over weight and my cholesterol has been extremely high (although lower this year than last).  Over the last 2 months I have had periods of rapid heartbeats. It usually begins when I am experiencing either some reflux or I feel bloated, but instead of coming up it sits in my chest and causes my heart to beat extremely rapidly.  I have to either cough or hiccup or burp to get it to stop.  It also occurs during exercise, although it also clears up with either a burp or cough.  At first I didn't think twice about it but it now happens rather frequently.  My doctor told me it was nothing to be concerned about since my EKG's have always been normal and that losing some weight and watching my diet would probably clear up the reflux.  I trust his opinion, but I was curious as to whether or not a problem like I am having would show up on an EKG?  When he administered the test, I was not experiencing any of the symptoms.  Can you give me some advice on this?  I would appreciate it.