Heart Disease Expert Forum
What does ectasia of the thoracic aorta mean in my chest xray

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I had h1n1 and then had a chest xray and was diagnosed with pneumonia.  The results of the xray also showed Ectasia of the thoracic aorta.  What does this mean?  Do I have an anuersym?  I am overweight and have Mitral Valve Prolapse and take Toprol 50ml for my MVP.  Can the inflammed chest wall give this reading or should I be concerned and see a cardiologist?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Tags: ectasia
It is a radiologic term that means that the aorta seems to be enlarged on a chest x-ray. However this has a very low positive predictive value for an aneurysm, as it can be caused by many other normal variants. If you are worried then a CT of the chest is the best way to exclude the presence of an ascending aortic aneurysm.
A related discussion, Questions regarding IDENTIFICATION OF LUNG CANCER was started.