Heart Disease Community
What does the results of my Nuclear Thallium Stress Test mean?

Join others with Heart Disease and get guidance and support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I received these resultsbelow from my stress test today can anyone explain what it means...I don't understand the medical jargon....IT STATES: The resting electrocardiogram reveals normal sinus rhythm with isoelectric ST segments. During the study,there was no angina,arrhythmia,or ischemic EKG change. The nuclear images are technically suboptimal secondary to the patients body habitus. Within those constraints, there is a moderate defect seen in the anterior wall on stress images that normalizes on resting images. Uptake of radioisotope elsewhere in the left ventricular myocardium appears to be normal. Regional wall motion analysis fails to reveal any discrete wall motion abnormalities. The calculated left ventricular ejection fraction is 48%. Conclusion 1.there appears to be a moderate reversible anterior wall defect as noted above.
Q: "The nuclear images are technically suboptimal secondary to the patients body habitus. Within those constraints, there is a moderate defect seen in the anterior wall....

>>>>>It is medical jargon that indicates there may be a defect at the location given, but due to prevailing condition it is not clearly seen. If there is a defect it is due to vessel occlusion; with perfusion of an agent, the defect (blockage) is seen when there is exertion and returns to normal with rest.  That would be the normal response with partial occlusion of a vessel.

The ejection fraction appears to be less than normal.  Normal is 50 to 70% and that is the amount of blood pumped into circulation with each heartbeat. Lower than normal EF is usually due to heart wall movement impairment, but the report indicates wall motion analysis fails to substantiate any wall movement abnormalities.  

During the study,there was no angina (chest pain due to vessel blockage),arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm) ,or ischemic?! (blockage of vessel) EKG change.

If you have a true positive test result it is not very well confirmed.  The worst scenario would be some minor blockage of a vessel. I don''t believe the test is conclusive and may require further tests based on your symptoms if any, concomitant health issues, health history, etc.

Hope this provides a perspective so you can effectively consult with your doctor.  If you have any further questions or comments you are welcome to respond.  Take care,

Ken