Heart Disease Community
What does this mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

What does this mean?

I recently had a nuclear stress test and my dr. said that everything was fine except for mild concentric LVH. I also got a copy of the test results and I was confused at some of the medical terms that were used in it. Here goes:what does mild basilar anterospetal and moderate inferior and inferolateral photopenia with no significant reversibility on resting images mean?
and, hyperdynamic global left ventricular systolic function, most likely secondary to small cavitary dimensions--
and last, predominantly fixed inferior and inferolateral perfusion defect appears artifactual given intact wall thickening. Similarly, basilar anterospetal defect also appears artifactual and I doubt prior infarct.
no significant scintigraphic reversible ischemia demonstrated.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I called my PCP back just to make sure things were ok, as sometimes you forget to ask questions and for me I always have to make triple positive sure that I heard things right the first time (It's that chronic anxiety thing that I suffer from). By the way, my Dr. says that I can possible reverse the LVh with blood pressure control and lifestlye changes, and now my BP is well controlled at arounf 114/70 or so. in fact, my dr. has taken me off of one of my BP meds because it was to low and the I felt awful with no energy and very fatigued. Thanks again for the help.
I'll explain what I know, and bear in mind I am a lay person not a medical professional.

Mild concentric LVH means your heart is thickened.  This can be a result of it being over-worked, such as if a person has high blood pressure for example.

Hyperdynamic global left ventricular systolic function, most likely secondary to small cavitary dimensions--means that your heart is trying to make up for the fact that the space for blood in your atrium and ventricles are smaller due to the thickening of the heart muscle...and so your heart is working harder to pump the adequate amount of blood to your body.

"predominantly fixed inferior and inferolateral perfusion defect appears artifactual given intact wall thickening. Similarly, basilar anterospetal defect also appears artifactual and I doubt prior infarct."

This means that your test showed an area lacking bloodflow in your heart, however, given the thickening of your heart muscle, this is probably not an actual lack of bloodflow but just the "appearance" of a lack of bloodflow.  Thus, your doctor does not suspect heart damage or a prior heart attack, he believes it is "artifact" which means "false positive", for lack of a better way of putting it.

"No significant scintigraphic reversible ischemia demonstrated."

This means they don't believe you have plugged arteries that need unplugged, based on your testing.

The fact that you are responding so well to the BP meds is  a HUGE positive because it looks like anything they found is a (possibly reversible) result of high blood pressure.  Sounds like you'll be fine :)
Okay, so now I am very scared.  My doctor or the cardiologist di not say anything to me about lack of blood flow, it being false positive or otherwise. Are you sure that the cardiologist is able to tell whether it truly is a false positive because of the LVH or do you think that I have something major going on? By the way, also on the test results it says that my ejection fraction was 82.4%, max heart rate was 188, max rate pressure of 30,832 and work load of 10.0 MET's , showed good exercise tolerance. All my PCP discussed with me was the LVH and getting my BP under control, now this is really freaking me out, even thinking that I may not be ok after all. Thanks.
Relax, LVH that is caused by HTN once the BP is under controll usually regresses, if it doesn't chances are it wont get any worse with good BP control.

Overall LVH has a favorable prognosis. I have mild LVH of the interventricular septum 14mm ( normal is usually 7mm to 11mm), 12 mm is considered borderline or marginal. I have been assured that there is nothing concerning once I keep my Bp under control, my LV (d) is only 44.1mm which is a little on the smaller side but the cardio described it as a strong little heart and am heavy guy at only 5' 9"  205 lbs. Try not to let it worry you.

Ejection fraction increases with exercise , so if your normal resting EF is 65-70 and it goes up to 80-85% that would be considered a normal response though words like hyperdynamic or hyperkinetic might be used!

220bpm minus age is usually used to define maximum predicted heartrate, there is usually a 12 beat plus or minus when referencing this, we are all different and there will always a small percentage that fall just outside what is listed as normal, but that will "normal" for that person. Bear in mind I'm not a medical doctor, but alot of little things are blowed way out proportion in reality to its significance, relax, I stressed out about this way too much myself, chances are you'll be just fine, if in doubt get a second opinion. Good luck.
I was recently diagnose w/ CHF, while I was reading my discharge summary I came across a sentence that read "An ECHO was obtained which showed  an EF of 60-65% with no regional wall motion abnormalties and normal valves".  What does this mean< specifically EF?
It means your results came back negative. you're fine. :)..."normal valves" means that there were no significant leaks in your heart chambers. a normal EF is between 55-75% with resting heart rate.
You do realise you are answering a post made 5 years ago?
.....I do now...lol kind of new to this site. but owell!!
welcome :)  the more the merrier.