Heart Disease Expert Forum
What happens after bypass surgery?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

What happens after bypass surgery?

One week ago Monday my father who is 70  had  quadruple bypass surgery.  He did extremely well in the hospital afterward so they sent him home last Saturday after only five days.  In general he feels well.  He walks some daily, is getting his appetite back and as of yesterday his weight loss leveled off. The only thing that annoys him is that he is tired all the time and naps ALOT.  I know it has been only 11 days but is this normal?  Thanks for any answers in advance.

Wish he were closer.  My parents live 200 miles away.
Dear Beth,

It sounds like you father is following a fairly typical post-op course for bypass surgery.  For uncomplicated surgeries we will typically discharge patients 5 days post-op.  I generally tell my patients to take the first 2-3 weeks after discharge off work and then resume a light schedule for the next 2-3 weeks.  Typically people will feel back to 80-90% of normal in 4 to 6 months and back to 100% (or better) of normal within the year.

Your father should follow-up with his doctor as he still needs to modify his risk factors (e.g. smoking, cholesterol, blood pressure) to prevent reocclusion of the grafts.  His doctor may also recommend a cardiac rehabilitation program to help increase his exercise tolerance.  Best wishes to you and your dad.
Beth, for what it's worth (every recovery process is different), I napped every day for at least a month following mitral valve and ASD repair.  I was 44 at the time of my surgery, and I was amazed at how much rest I needed.  It just takes time to recover from these big surgeries, and there's absolutely no point in pushing too hard.  It's great that he's out walking, getting his appetite back and so on...but it's only 11 days!  He'll likely get stronger and stronger each day, but a daily nap is probably really good for him to regain his strength.

He's lucky to have you close by to help out and be supportive. It makes a huge difference, at least it did to me, to have family and a couple of close friends around to cheer me on in my recovery.

Shannon
A 57 year old male had 4 vessel bypass 6 days ago. Was supposed to come home today 4/18/00. Last evening while sleeping, he started having 6 second pauses and what the cardiologist called a deadly polymorphic beat after the pause. Tomorrow he is scheduled for a dual chamber pacemaker. Presently he has an external pacer. What is the cardiologist referring to about a polmorphic beat?, and is this an occasional complication from bypass surgery?

e-mail ***@****
I HAD BYPASS SURGERY 1-31-00, 3 WITH A 4TH THAT THEY DIDN'T FEEL WAS BAD ENOUGH TO GO AFTER SINCE IT WAS ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE HEART. I FEEL I'VE MADE A GOOD RECOVERY. I'M 58 AND MY FIRST WALK AFTER SURG. WAS A TOTAL OF 12 CITY BLOCKS. I NOW WORK OUT AT THE Y 3-4 TIMES A WEEK. WEIGHTS AND WALK 30 MIN. @3.6MPH WITH A 10 TO 15 DEGREE INCLINE. I SWEAT LIKE A PIG, FEEL GREAT AFTER, ETC. MY QUESTION IS, I CAN'T GET FAR ENOUGH FROM THE TABLE TO SHOW ANY REAL WEIGHT LOSE YET. I'M STUFFING MYSELF WITH VEGGIES AND I'M STILL SO HUNGRY. I'VE ALWAYS HAD A BIG APPETITE EVER SINCE I WAS IN JR. HIGH SCHOOL. I WEIGH 226 NOW AND I GOT TO 235 JUST B-4 THE SURGERY. MY DR. WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME AT 177 WITHIN A YEAR. I CAN'T SEE THAT HAPPENING. I CAN'T EAT JUST 3 OZ PORTIONS OF MEAT I LOADON VEGGIES BUT I STILL HAVE SOME MEAT, MORE THAN THE DR. WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME HAVE. I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A DR. WHOSE GOT A LITTLE MORE FAT ON HIM THAN MY DR. DOES. I'VE SEEN VIRTUALLY NO WEIGHT LOSE YET. I FEEL LIKE A MILLION BUCKS BUT WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE SOME WEIGHT COME OFF. ANY IDEAS ON HOW LONG THIS SHOULD TAKE B-4 I START LOSING THE POUNDS?? I'M WORKING HARD WITH WEIGHTS, WALKING AND WATCHING A LOT OF WHAT I EAT BUT I'M STILL HUNGRY. I HAVE A TENDENCY TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE WITH CALORIES INSTEAD OF FAT, CANDY HERE AND THERE. CURBS THE HUNGER BUT DOESN'T DO ME ANY GOOD. HATE CARROTS, CELERY, APPLES, ALL THE THINGS THEY TELL ME I SHOULD REPLACE IN MY DIET. IF YOU DON'T LIKE AND WON'T EAT------? IF THEY, THE DR'S FIXED MY HEART AND I'VE ADJUSTED MY MEAT EATING AND FATTY EATING HABITS WHY THE HUGH PUSH ON LOSING SO MUCH WEIGHT AFTER HAVING CARRIED THE SAME BUILD FOR SO LONG. AND DON'T JUST TELL ME IT'S FOR THE SAKE OF MY BODY CAUSE THAT JUST DOESN'T SATISFY MY MIND. I KNOW I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER AND I PROBABLY KNOW ALL THE PAT DR. ANSWERS BUT WHAT I HAVEN'T BEEN TOLD IS EXACTLY HOW GOOD IS MY HEART NOW? I WAS PULLED OFF THE TREAD MILL 9 MIN AND 32 SECONDS AFTER I STARTED BECAUSE OF THE BLOCKAGES. I NOW GO 30 MIN AT 3.6 TO 3.8 MPH AT 10 TO 15 DEGREES INCLINE WITH NO TROUBLE. STILL HAVE HIGH BP BUT NOTHING LIKE IT WAS B-4 SURG. DR. SAYS THAT BY MAY I SHOUD BE FULL BLAST INTO MY WORKOUT. I AM ALREADY EXCEPT FOR THE WEIGHTS WHICH COULD INJURE MY CHEST WIRES. I KNOW ALL THE STUFF ABOUT CHANGING FAT OT  MUSCLE BEFORE YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT. HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE ROUGHLY BY WHAT I'VE TOLD YOU ABOUT MYSELF?????????    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.       ***@****
My husband had open heart surgery 4 years ago.  He had 3 arteries blocked 90% and one on backside they could not get to and felt it would not pose a problem.  He has never recovered his full strength.  He is 66 years old.  We live in a very humid hot climate for 6-7 months of the year.  When he works outdoors in the garden or cuts the grass he sweats alot and has to take frequent breaks.  He is currently experiencing a pressure in his chest doing this type of activity, which subsides when he sits down for a rest and drinks a gatorade type of drink.  Where can I find information on a timeline for recovery following heart surgery and what to expect as the years pass?  Have we reached a point where another surgicaly procedure will be required? Is this a sign that medication needs adjusting?
If he is relieved by Gatorade or water, it may be an electrolyte deficiency.  I remember years ago when I would get the sweats and need to sit down and not just after doing work...I could have just been standing watching tv when it happened.  A healthy person needs 64 ounces of water daily.  Someone who has had surgery and is in recovery (rest of life) may consider much more than 64 daily.  Consider asking your doc about this and electrolyte deficiencies.  My husband drinks Gatorade like it's koolaid or soda.  I drink about 100 ounces of water daily.

Good luck to you both,
Deb
Dear Beth,
I had a quad bypass the first of Jan and I napped for about a month.  I still am not up to full strength, but I am exercising more now than before the surgery, losing some weigth and feeling better overall about my future.  Even now I have to stop sometimes and take a short nap.  Good luck to you both.
Bill
Had quadruple bypass surgery on 14 Jun 00. Just pushing 5 weeks ago. I walk a mile and half daily, stopped smoking and have cut out fats. I am 61 years old and feel ok now. Wish the it had not happened but it is better than the alternative.

the mouth creates fat[cholestral.
mucus changes to cholestral when extracted from
            the mouth
        1www.a-bloom.com
         2 www.a-bloom.com/new page1htm
               arthur bloom

My father had quadruple bypass surgery this past Thurs, Sept. 28. they said his heart was operating at 30% efficiency before the surgery and yet afterwards they said it was operating at the same percentage. Does anybody know what this percentage means? Does it mean the surgery was unsuccessful?
My 72 year old father had double by-pass surgery this week (10/2/2000).  He is improving daily, although, recently, he started to have boughts of arythmias with his heart racing as fast as 170 bpm.  I was very concerned about this, although his cardiologist indicated that 30% of by-pass patients suffer with this after affect.  Is what he is indicated true?  Do by-pass patients continue to suffer with arythmias forever, or, do these arythmias subside over time?

Thanks for your information regarding this issue.
Dear Sir:  
        I just found out that i have reocclusion of the heart graft.The surgeon just implanted a stint in my heart. Ifeel that i will evenutally need another bypass and would like some info. on this and how the clinic would handle this problem. i'am in top physical shape except for this heart problem i'AM 62 YEARS OLD. MY E MAIL IS ***@**** i live at 49 white pine dr. millsboro DE.19966                                                                                  

Thank You

Francis Ruggeri

A related discussion, how long does by-pass heart surgery last? was started.
A related discussion, 4 heart bypass was started.
A related discussion, psot recovery was started.