Heart Disease Expert Forum
What happens after carotid stenting?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

What happens after carotid stenting?

My father, 77 (diabetes mellitus, auricular fibrillation, peripheric arteriopathy), had his left carotid stented nine days ago. His right carotid was 100% occluded (some TIA episodes a year ago), left was nearly 90%.
I had heard that carotid stenting was a relatively rapid intervention, with a quick recovery. But it is not being the case. He feels weak and dizzy... I am specially worried about his blood pressure. Before the stenting, he was hypertense, but, after the sten,t blood pressure is low,with figures of 120/50, 110/50, 100/60. The doctors (vascular neurologists) seemed not to be very concerned about that: they put his antihypertensive drugs off. They also put diltiazem (prescribed by his cardiologist) off. But I wonder if this lower pressure is a transient effect, or if we can expect that this is going to continue... And, of course, I am worried about the risks of these changes in blood pressure.

I thank youf very, very much in advance for your help.
Persistent hypotension is common after carotid stenting, occurring in approximately 20% of patients. It is due to compression of the carotid bulb by the stent. While some studies have found that it is associated with more procedural adverse events and stroke, the long-term implications of it are less clear. The effect does tend to persist and stopping antihypertensive medications is appropriate.
Thank you very much for your answer.
Coping with hypotension (in a previously hypertense person) is now a task for having a reasonably good quality of life.
Thanks!