Heart Disease Expert Forum
What is my next step.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What is my next step.

I am a 71-year-old with a history of hypertension and COPD and now diagnosed with hypertropic cardiomyopathy.  I had a syncopal episode in December. My echocardiogram showed septal hypertrophy at 17 mm with a hyperdynamic ventricle with an EF of 75%, with accelerated outflow track velocity outflow of 2 metersper second, corre;ating to a mean gradient of 10 mmHg.  There is mild systolic anterior motion of the mitral valve.  There was no pericardial effusion.  My end-diastolic dimension was 45 mm. My left atrial size was 45 mm.I had a positive tilt table test.
The 24-hour Holter monitor showed runs of monomorphic ventricular tachycardia. A  preliminary electrophysiologic study was done which showed no inducible, monomorphic VT, polymorphic VT, or VF with programmed stimulation, nor could the Doctor induce any automatic VT with burst pacing.
My previous medication (Hytrin and a diuretic) was changed to Lopressor, 100 mg twice a day and lisinopril, 40 mg  once a aday.  
I remain hypertensive with blood pressures ranges from 180-205 over 120-140. The change in medication inproved the periodic dizziness and episodes of flushing and near syncope. However, I am still dyspneic on exertion This is worse after eating.  DOCTOR SAYS MY dyspnea may, in fact, be multifactorial, including COPD and obesity.
QUESTION:  I am concerned over my high blood pressure and my short and my shortness of breath. Are these a result of hypertropic cardiomyopathy?  Should I be seeing another cardiologist with an eye to surgery?  If not, what is my next step.