Heart Disease Expert Forum
What is my true ejection fraction ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

What is my true ejection fraction ?
In october 2012, I had a ejection fraction of 70 on a echocardiogram performed on the telemetry unit at the hospital.  In september 2012, I had a ejection fraction of 45 on a muga.  In march 2012, I had a 65 ejection fraction done at the hospital.  2 years ago, I had a ejection fraction of 50.  I am 60 years old, never had a heart attack.  I feel fine when I walk a mile or more, or walk steps.  My question is what is my true ejection fraction ?
Ejection fraction is often variable from echo to echo, depending on the physiologic conditions at the time and the physician reading the echo.  MUGA is typically more accurate for assessment of ejection fraction than echocardiogram.  I'm not sure why you have had all these tests done on your heart, but I would suggest finding a cardiologist you trust and following closely with him/her.  Your cardiologist can help you determine your true ejection fraction and the need for further testing and follow up.  Best of luck!