Heart Disease Community
What is prolonged Q-T interval?

A community of people with Heart Disease to guide and support your heart-health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: symptoms, nutrition, and management.

What is prolonged Q-T interval?

What is prolonged Q-T interval. I have recently been told I have this condition but the Doctor told me to look it up on the internet.
wow that dont sound right to me i hate to say this but if my dr ever told me to look it up, and could not explain it to me i would be finding me another dr. soory to say that . my dr takes her time to sit down write it or draw it out for me i have to have that . good luck
FIND A NEW DOCTOR.

One with a brain and an ounce of sense.  QT Prolongation is a serious condition, or can be.  There are drugs and medications you MUST avoid due to potentially fatal reactions.  Make sure this condition is very clearly noted in your records and that your pharmacist is aware.  If/when you ever go to an ER, tell them immediately you have long QT.

I can't explain it all in detail, for now do Google "long QT" and also find yourself a new doctor.
Hi, I agree with what the others said, please find a new doctor. You need to see an Electrophysiologist (EP), this is a cardiologist that specializes in heart rhythms. What type of treatment did your doctor put you on? There is a wonderful support group on Yahoo Groups for Long QT Syndrome.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/longqt/
Just register an email acct and you will be directed on how to join the group.
Our family has just recently been diagnosed with Long QT Syndrome and this group has been a lifeline for me.
As for what is Long QT Syndrome, it is a disturbance in the electrical system of the heart that can cause arrythmias which can cause people to faint or have seizure-like activity when they collapse. Most times the heart regains its normal rhythm and people quickly regain consciousness. But sometimes, and there are no rules, the heart goes into ventricular fibrillation and one can have a cardiac arrest and die. There are many different triggers for these episodes depending on the type of Long QT you have. Some happen while exercising, or after being scared, or by sudden loud noises, and sometimes they happen at rest or during sleep. It is a very unpredictable disease. But once treatment is started (usually Beta Blockers and sometimes and ICD) people with Long QT Syndrome live normal healthy long lives.
I hope I didn't give you too much info to deal with. Finding out you have Long QT Syndrome is the first step, now you need to find a good knowledgeable doctor (people on Yahoo will help with doctors in the US, I am from Canada) and treatment needs to be started. Regular cardiologists are famous at not being knowledgeable enough to properly treat people with Long QT Syndrome. Please continue to educate yourself. Good luck!
Stevie
BloodPressure Tracker
Monitor Your Blood Pressure
HeartRhythm Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
YohaniK1912 added the Heart Rhythm Tracker
11 mins ago
tisasmith commented on Online Kamagra oral j...
1 hr ago
Soy products may decrease testoster...
9 hrs ago by gymdandee