Heart Disease Expert Forum
What is sinus Tachycardia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

What is sinus Tachycardia?

I am 18 weeks pregnant and noticed an increase in my pulse rate with some minor palpatations (about 3 per day, some days more, some days none).  I figured it was because of increased blood volume because of being pregnant.  He had me do an ekg, but during the ekg, I got so nervous my heart rate was 130 (I get doctor phobia).  He told me I have sinus tachycardia and wants me to see a specialist.  Well, then I started to really panic.  The palpatations seem better, but my heart rate resting is between 90-110, its not pounding, just fast.  I feel great, but this is giving me lots of anxiety.  Blood pressure is fine.  Please help! what is sinus tachycardia and is this something I should be concerned with???
Sinus tachycardia just refers to a fast, but otherwise normal, heart rate. The fact that you complained about palpitations and had a high resting heart rate of 130 made your doctor concerned, and that is why he appropriately wants you to see a specialist.
It just means you have a fast heart but generally it's nothing to panic about ... there are causes other than anxiety which can cause it to happen as i'm sure the doc will explain ... what i'd like to say is that i had an exercise stress test and i was super anxious about what they might discover ... my heart rate starting the test was 147bpm ... i maxed out at over 210bpm ... my BP was as expected throughout the test.  My point is that 'doctor phobia' can really up your heart rate.
Anxiety can certainly cause the heart rate to rise. It does create a difficult situation for the doctor who is faced with an anxious patient, complaining of palpitations, who has a resting sinus tachycardia on EKG. Even though common sense indicates that anxiety is most likely the cause, further testing is usually ordered just to make sure.