Heart Disease Expert Forum
What is too Fast?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

What is too Fast?

I have been in a frenzy of pvcs for the past three days. Very little sleep. Scared stiff again. I took a nap and upon standing up and walking to the kitchen, I noticed my heart was beating extremly fast. Pulse was 157 per minute. Slowed down in about five minutes. It went back to 50 beats per minute. Is that a dangerous pulse rate? Also, during this attack blood pressue was 188/87. Usually 117/74. I called my cadiologist at 10 pm that night and asked if I should got to emergency room,so we could get these on a strip. He said although they are a nuisance to try to ride it out. Shold he have been more concerned over the fast pulse? Can an adrenaline rush push your pulse that high that quickly? What is considered a dangerous high for pulse rate? Again, I love the Forum and appreciate your answers.
Marty
Dear Marty

It is difficult to say if the fast pulse leads to anxiety or anxiety leads to the fast pulse and high blood pressure (suspect your cardiologist thought it was the latter situation). A pulse that is too high is one that causes symptoms such as passing out or almost passing out - there is no real number that is considered too fast. However, rates above 200 are almost always too fast if they occur at rest.

I hope this has been useful. I wish you the best of luck.