What to expect at Cardiologist appt?
I know this sounds like a simple question, but I am anxious and knowing what others have gone thourgh, will make my upcomming cardiologist appt easier. I had a heart attack, and one Stress test, and it is those that this appt, termed a consultation is based on. What was your appt like, did you have any more tests scheduled, did the dr. examine you, was it a good or negative experience? How long was your consultation, and how long did it take you to get your appt? Thank you for helping me relax and know what I may be facing.  

fluffypurrcat
I know it is not the same as a child going to a cardiologist lke inmy case, but what he/she might so is do all the vitals. most likely do an EKG(ECG) listen to your heart and lungs talk about your results and make a plan. If you have any questions qrite them down so you won't forget them. it is easy to say you won't forget however once you are there it can be overwhelming with everything you are talking about you might not remember to ask. also if you have someone close to you if they can join you to the doctors or bring a tape recorder, sometimes you have so much to talk about and the next steps of the plna, it gets all mind boggling and you may forget so bringing someone or a recorder may help.
I can't say how many times I brought my little man to the cardiligist and he told us about this or that, like the last visit about the cardiac cath and the EP study it was all so much information going back and forth, that I forgot some by the time I got home thanks to a good friend she remembered and it helped.
also make sure if you don't understand sometihng you have tell them you don't understand and they should be able to tell you in a way that you understand. sometimes doctors forget that they need to put things in our terms, but I haven't met one doctor that got mad because I told him I didn't understand.
good luck
Michelle
I just wanted to let you know, you are not alone.  I am 51 years old, and the last month I have been having, tightness in left chest, shortness of breath, fatigue.  I don't seem to be able to do anything anymore without being totally worn out.  I have been having lots of burning and tightness in my chest.  I went to my MD thinking I had asthma, and he sent me to the ER, of course they ran, EKG's, kept me overnight. Wanted to keep me but I told them any test could be done on outpatient, so I was sent home.  The EKG was abnormal, I had a stress test the next week, which turned out fine, then had arterygram next week.  The cardiologist , was just not very helpful at all.  After the arterygram he came in and told me and my family I had a stiff heart, and blockage in 3 arteries, but that to stop smoking, and medicine would help. I went home without medicine, so I called his office next day and was told he didn't want to put me on anything at this time. My next appt. is 3 weeks away, so I decided to go back to my regular MD, I can't keep just laying around like this, my MD was not happy with the treatment I received so he has schduled me with a different cardiologist but its not until June 3rd.  I have the chest tightness most of the time, really bad if I try to do anything like walk to the mail box, or pick something up.  I am at my wits end with this.  I forgot the cardiologist also told me I had already had a heart attack and that is why I have a stiff heart, from the damage from the heart attack.  It is really sad that the cardiologist goes to all the trouble to do the test, but will not take the time to explain the results in laymen terms so you can understand him.  I feel like he just dismissed me.  I felt it was because I am a women and I smoke, which I am trying to quit, but he also refused to give me any prescriptions to help me quit, my MD has prescriped medcine to help with that now though. So before you go to cardiologist make yourself a list of all the things you want him to explain to you.  I wish you luck. And hopefully we will both get some answers that we can live with and be able to get back to being our normal selfs again soon. From what I gather I think my problems are small enough they can be treated with medicine at this time, but they won't be if I just let this one cardiologist leave me hanging like this. So don't let anyone do this to you. Also I was given Nitroquik but I am like you I do not want to take it unless I am sure it is a heart attack, I get very bad migraines and I have been told if you aren't having a heart attack you will get a very bad headache and believe me I don't want that, so I have not taken any of the Nitroquik. Hopefully we will both be seen by good cardiologist in the near future.  Please let me know how you are doing.  I will be thinking of you.