Heart Disease Expert Forum
Whats "normal" for PVC's?

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Whats "normal" for PVC's?

I am a 46 year old male with no family history of heart problems. I quit smoking a little over a year ago and stay pretty active being in construction. I started having pvc's 10 months ago. They started out with every 10-12th heartbeat for about 15 minutes in a day. They now are constant 24 hours a day every day. I have one every 10th-20th heartbeat then its every 3rd beat for 15-20 times in a row at which point it starts all over. When Im active during the day its not as noticeable but the evenings are terrible when my heart is beating hard. The skipped beat makes you feel you stepped off of a curb you did not see then the strong heartbeat after it makes your chest feel you have "pop rocks" in it. After a long period of strong heartbeats my chest has sharp pains than feel like a cig burn just under the skin for about 15 seconds. The metoprolol helps sometimes in the evenings in lessening the force of the heartbeat but does nothing to limit the pvc's. I have had 2 ekgs that show the pvc's and just completed an Echo that I am to get the results on next week when they will be giving me a stress test. I guess with them waiting over a week to give me the echo results that its not serious but I tell you....pvc's suck. The pvc's have been nonstop for about 5 months now. Is there a chance they will get better? If there is nothing they can find thats causing the pvc's (my cardiologist told me they often cant find reasons for pvc's) can you get a pacemaker or something like that? Dont get me wrong I am thankful that this is all thats wrong with me and I understand there are many others much worst off medically than I but if there is something I can do about it then I want to do it.
Tags: skipped heartbeats, s, skipped heartbeats, pvc, PVCs
If the echocardiogram shows normal heart systolic function, and no significant valvular disease, and if the stress test is normal then most likely you will not need any more invasive tests to aid in the treatment of your PVCs. If you have sustained episodes then an event monitor may help with the diagnosis, as you may have an arrhythmia which can be treated with medications such as beta blockers or other arrhythmic medications such as procainamide.  A PVC can be a manifestation of ischemic or valvular heart disease, and can be a marker for sudden cardiac death in patients with ischemia or depressed ejection fractions, but in patients without these features they have not been linked to any increased risk of death.