Heart Disease Community
Who can relate to these AF symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Who can relate to these AF symptoms?

More than a question. More like a statment.

I first got a bout with AF after eating a fried chicken dinner and being very tired at age 23 the evening of July 8th 1979. I had just graduated college living in Orlando and was burning the candles at both ends and eating as a college kid eats.
Now, I am 53 and had had bouts for 30 years. I had GAD pretty bad in the 80’s, but go over most of that. I have experienced panic and anxiety attacks over this, but which came first the chicken or the egg??? No pun intending. My resting rate is around 60.
I have noticed, as a precursor, to getting AF straight out or getting a fast heartbeat and then it goes into AF, with having gas or cramping in my ascending colon or stomach area (right side cramping or gas or bloating). Got that tonight at about 3 AM which is why I am here with my monologue. The bout lasted less than 5 minutes and as I write this I am passing gas. Aren’t you glad I shared that info? Oh, yesterday I am some Oreo’s and normally don’t eat those, bingo… constipation. But, I do drink a lot of water, it’s my favorite drink.
Have had 3 colonoscopies and the same amount endoscopies over the 30 years, oh and the upper and lower GI’s as well, and each shown healthy parts thank goodness. Sometimes when I get constipated from eating foolishly the AF can creep up. Sometimes when I am asleep lying on one side AF will start, I'll get frightened, which doesn't help. MANY times I will eat scrambled eggs and toast with a hot drink, or hot water, pass gas, and it will go back to sinus rhythm. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to the ER over the years, had EKG's, heart echoes looking for MVP and other things and they can't find anything wrong. I DID have a doctor say yes the gas and gut upset could the AF, so he did think out of the box.
I can move mountains, walk fast, exercise, mow the lawn, and when the kids were young go up so many stairs at the water parks it wasn’t funny and nothing, never got AF when doing those physical things and NEVER got chest pains or fainted. That even goes for the times I was in AF, never chest pains or fainted. Yet on a cruise I got it on the ship. SOOOO much food, gut not used to it? I ask what do you think?
I can go months without it or get it 3 times in one week. Seems like when I get it more than once a week I am having gut problems. I so much think it is food, gas, cramping, and constipation related. So, glad to know others have it because it drives me nuts sometimes thinking I’m the only one out here…
It can last for less than five minutes, like it just did, or go on for 20 hours and then go back to normal sinus on it's own as it has for over 30 years. I notice the more I would stretch or manipulate my gut with my fingers, the quicker the AF would go to sinus. Or eat something like the scrambled eggs or a banana or hot soup it seems to start peristalsis and I would get over the bout. The more I remained not moving, the longer the bout lasted. Sometimes, yes sometimes, I can extend my arms over my head and it will go to sinus, but not ALL the time. Now, is this crazy or what? But, it’s true!!!! I get so frustrated when I get it. It's like what did I do wrong to get it now. Please get back to me on this, so I know I have some brothers and sisters out there with similar situations. It’s just a relief to relate to others with this malady. God Bless all of you for reading my little diatribe and understanding.
Tags: stomach problems,, gut health, Stomach, gastrointestinal, af symptoms, af