Heart Disease Community
Why are my cigarettes making me sick

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Why are my cigarettes making me sick

I would like to know why my cigarettes (marlboro ultra lights) are suddenly over the past few months making me sick. Yes smoking is bad for you and yes I know I should quit and I am, but here is my issue.

When I smoke now my heart rate goes from 75 to 108 (140 if I stand) I feel sick to my stomach and sometimes vomit. After 20 mintes my heart rate does not come down like normal it stays up for 2 to 3 hours and hangs around 99 sitting and 120 standing.

I have had a 24 hour heart monitor and a heart echo. These came back normal except for the fast heart rate that the heart doctor said was "just anxiety" which it isn't at all. I am not nervous.

Is anyone else getting sick from their cigarettes over the past few months? What would cause this to happen? Like I said I am quitting, but why is this happening to me?

I am a 33 year old male and been smoking for 11 years. Not over weight.
Before I quit in 1984 cigarettes especially first thing in the morning would make me nauseous. That and a feeling of "unable to quit" caused me to throw a fit and I decided to stop with the use of nicoret gum. It wasn't easy but I now shake my head thinking about how entrapped I was with not only the chemical nastiness but the time wasting rituals and ceremonies associated with smoking.

It is only a guess but in my case I feel my body was getting a toxic shock reaction.
Your body is telling you something.  When I was young, the dangers of smoking were not known, but I never smoked.  My husband was a smoker unti 20 years ago.  Now that he is older, the results of his smoking have come to haunt him.  Once you quit smoking, your lungs immediately start repairing themselves, but the damage done to your cardio-vascular system is forever!  As a result of my husband's smoking, he has peripheral artery disease, which is decresed blood flow to all parts of his body, leading to many sugeries and angioplasty, aortic aneurisym, tongue cancer, and of yesterday throat cancer, all due to smoking.  It amazes me with all the specialists he sees, the very first question they ask is if he does or has ever smoked.  My husband was always a picture of health, an avid runner, now he's lucky to walk from the house to the car without sever pain in his legs.  He still works, and when going into see a customer will have to fake a phone call in the parking lot, as an excuse to stop walking so the pain can subside for him to walk a little farther.  It's heart wrenching to see him deteriorating like this all because of cigarettes.  This not a lecture, just my story.  As Johnny Carson said while dying..."damn cigarettes".
I am so scared I ruined my body permanently. I didn't mean too. I cry over it a lot and I am scared. My right hand turns more purple than the left when at my side and I have shown and told doctors what is happening and they just keep telling me it is anxiety. I don't want to die. What do I do? If I broke my body and can't fix it I am scared.
Please don't be scared.  You are young and have not smoked for that long, so if you quit now, you are ahead of the game!  Everyone's different, and some people smoke all their lives without these complications.  The important thing to do is make a life changing choice right now.  Stop smoking, and eat well for the rest of your life.  I don't mean to not enjoy hamburgers, or french fries, just don't eat them on a regular basis.  The Scandinavians have high cholesterol but none of these problems and it is because they eat a diet with a lot of fish, and little red meat.  If you like fish, go for it! If not, take the fish oil supplement. My husband added to his problems by not eating well, lots of greasy, fatty food, and it has all caught up with him.  You are still young and healthy enough to head off these problems.  Your hands turning purple is not a result of your smoking, so you can relax on that.  If you have a lot of anxiety or need help getting off the cigarettes, do not hesitate to get help.  You sound like you are healthy, and if you quit smoking you'll live a long healthy life.  Be proud that you are smart enough to know what you were doing to your body, and strong enough to change it!  Your age is a big benefit for you, so stop worrying and just be healthy, and enjoy life.  I know you can do this, and you will feel much better when you do.  Best of luck to you, and let us know how you are doing from time to time.  Take care......
A normal response to cigarette smoking is elevated blood pressue. It's both due to the
chemicals in the cigarettes and the decrease in Oxygen. I had given up for 2 years and
the day before my bypass surgery I lit up due to the stress. Let's just say I wish I hadn't.
I went light headed for hours and had to sit on the floor outside the hospital building
because I thought I was going to pass out. My blood pressure was checked when I
returned to the ward and it was through the roof.
If you give up, your Oxygen levels will increase in the blood within hours because the
red corpuscles are not being destroyed. Your lungs will start to recover from the moment
you give up too. I still don't believe that cigarettes are the cause of artery disease and
I'm sure that the real culprit will be found in time. I have seen many patients in my hospital admissions who have never touched a cigarette in their lives but still have the
disease. More recent thinking is looking at free radicals which bombard the artery lining,
causing pitting. The immune system then uses cholesterol to repair the surface which
is turned into a plaque for added strength. Maybe we should be concentrating more on
de-toxing our bodies to remove many of the free radicals which are also known to be associated with cancers. One good way to rid our bodies of toxins is to fast for one day
a week. Studies have shown that lab animals actually tend to live much longer using this method and stay healthy. The bible also says we should fast one day out of seven.
People also develop lung cancer without ever smoking a cigarette.  But that doesn't mean cigarettes aren't the leading cause of lung cancer.  Part of this is also hereditary, and can be a combination of both. You're right about inflammation in the lining of the arteries causing holes, but it is the good cholesterol that plugs these up with no build-up.  I don't know what component it is in cigarettes, that also shrink the arteries.  My sister-in-law is dying of Emphysema from smoking.  Your experience alone is proof of what nicotine can do. I don't understand how cleansing your system for just one day, while it is contaminated for the remaining 6 would help.  But then I also don't buy into a lot of what the Bible says.  
I am really sorry for you that you don't buy into a lot of what the Bible says. It is The word and it is The truth. Every word in the Bible is pure truth and nothing but. Our eternity depends on what the Bible says. God gave us His word... Take care
Smoking causes your blood vessels to clamp way down which may be the reason you feel like you do.  In Europe, I forget which country ( plus you couldn't do this in America) they had a patient on the cath table and took pictures of his arteries.  They then had him smoke (while on the table) and they re-shot the images.  His coronary arteries shrunk down to 50% of their original caliber.  Your coronaries and all the blood vessels in your body go through the same process when yo smoke, so perhaps your body is tired of it.
our bodies become highly contaminated with free radicals and other toxins due to the
foods we eat. The body can only 'naturally' remove so much of these but our diets simply
overload the system. Starving from food for one day each week gives the body a good
chance to catch up. Experiments in labs show that animals live longer than average using this method.
you stated "You're right about inflammation in the lining of the arteries causing holes, but it is the good cholesterol that plugs these up with no build-up"
Everything I have read regarding cholesterol states that LDL (bad) cholesterol is used by
the body for treating damage to arteries. HDL (Good) simply tries to keep the level of
LDL in check and returns unused LDL back to the liver for recycling. Maybe all the
documentation I've read is incorrect?
How do you do it? How do you handle quitting cold turkey mentally? I have read that cold turkey quitting is the best way to stay successfully quit. I have tired everything and yet still a smoker. I have Leukemia and still a smoker! I am so angry at myself because I lack the will power to quit. How do you get past the irritability and agitation? When I smoke I do get sick, nausea, dizzy, faintness and tiredness. But as soon as I start feeling better what do I do? Yep, smoke.. Just like an idiot. No insults can be said that I have not said to myself. I did not realize what smoking does to the arteries. Atomic 811... I thought that was really interesting what you wrote about the cath procedure, 50% is a lot. Any tips from an ex-smoker would help! Thank you all and take care..
Dude look @ your label on your cigs by the bar code, does it read FSC? If so you are the latest victim of the new cigerettes and thier toxic effects. I too am suffering since the cigs came to my state and my lame *** doctors said i was faking my symptoms too. Look at the statistics for the states that have FSC and the states that are complaining of swine flu. Your symptoms are caused by the governments new cig program and noone really knows yet. Sorry to hear your sick, please stop smoking those things now and you will probably live.
I Have not smoked for 8 days. I am wearing the patch to help. I have smoked for 10 + years -Menthol cigs. Its quite a struggle, even with the patch. When the patch wears off, my body and mind is a mess, i cannot think straight, my body is weak and yesterday i broke out into a sweat - pouring with sweat, for me this is not normal due to the fact that i dont really sweat!
Im 35 year old female, and it was just time to quit.
My father is fighting prostate cancer and while doing research to find natural treatments  i became discusted at all the toxins in our food, it just made me so mad that companies put such horrible stuff in our food...anyway thats a long story but  that is what made me finally want to quit. How  could i be so mad at these companies when i was putting something as toxic as cigs into my  own body.

Christ has a lot to do with my battle, i rely on Him to help me through this. It is still hard but reminding my self that i DO want to feel better, Breath Deeper, and have more energy (to name a few benifits) makes it so worth all this pain im going through to quit.

I work in the gulf of mexico and absolutly hate flying, i have to take a helicoptor often to get to the job site and also fly down to texas via commercial flight form the west coast. I hate flying so much, huge stresser for me, so im really looking forward to conquering this major stresser with out sitting out side smoking 10 cigs before the flight. Reminding myself of all the good that will come from not smoking will be my frame of mind (Lord give me the strength!)

Its hard, but it will be so worth it!
I wish there were web sites that told you straight forward what to expect when quitting, like how your body reacts. My body is not liking that im not smoking! It is fighting me, and it would be nice to see that this is 'normal', it would help to press on and get through it. Ive just asked others i work with and they have similar stories as to how there body reacts. Also- i smoked one cig 4 days after i 'quit', it tasted normal and quite frankly good, then i tried smoking another one on day seven and i couldnt do it! It tasted horrible, like plastic or something. Im quite positive that this can be overcome, i mean quitting smoking. Maybe having someone to vent to as well (I reccomend Christ and a non smoker) and tell them how hard it is, what a struggle it is- It helps to vent.

I suppose i can look at it as though im a drug addict going through withdrawls? I mean i have been addicted for over ten years, my body functions with it, im taking it away and going through serious withdrawls. But it can be done!

Also i think they  put something in cigs now to make them go out, like if you leave your cig in an ashtray for a moment it will go out on its own. They did this to help prevent fires. I dont know what the chemical is called but ill do a bit of research on it. But this was added a year or so back.
If you think that is bad, hear me out on my opinion. I am 39 years old, I have smoked heavily since I was 11. I have always been a physical person and smoking has never been a problem really, until now (2009). The government has gotten rid of all of the foreign cigarette companies such as, the original Drum, Bali Shag, both handrolling tobaccos. If you ask me, all the cheap tobacco now is laced with poison, why? Maybe so they can get rid of all of us poor people, that sure would help their health care problems now wouldn't it? I will NOT be a victim, I quit smoking cigarettes immediately. I know they are laced with poison now, especially the cheap roll your own stuff. How did I quit so easily? I just puff on big cigars now, I don't go through any niccotine withdrawl (withdrawal) and I don't inhale the cigars. I will quit those soon too, because I don't want to give the government any more of my money.
YOU ARE SICK BECAUSE OF THE NEW FSC CIGARETTES.  THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ARE GETTING SICK OFF THESE DAMN THINGS.  I'VE CALLED THE FDA AND THE CDC.  THEY ACT LIKE A BUNCH OF STUPID IDIOTS IMPLYING THAT I AM MAKING THIS STUFF UP.  EVERY SMOKER NEEDS TO FILE AN OFFICIAL COMPLAINT WITH THE FDA AND CDC.  COMPLAINING ON BLOGS WILL DO NOTHING.  THE FDA WON'T EVEN START AN INVESTIGATION UNTIL THEY GET 100,000 COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS ISSUE.  THAT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD BY THE FDA SPOKESHOLE.  BUY YOUR CIGS OUT OF THE USA  IF YOU WANT TO SMOKE WITHOUT THE BIZARRE SIDE EFFECTS.  TO REPEAL THIS FSC CIGARETTE LAW THERE MUST BE AN OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF COMPLAINTS DIRECTLY TO THE FDA AND CDC.  ALSO, CALLING YOUR STATE SENATORS AND LEGISLATORS WILL HELP.  SMOKERS NEED TO FIGHT BACK WITH THE TRUTH.  THIS IS THE GOVERNMENTS SNEAKY WAY TO FORCE SMOKERS INTO SUBMISSION AND QUIT.  AFTERALL, THEY CAN'T BAN THEM OUTRIGHT WITHOUT HAVING AN OUTCRY LIKE NONE EVER SEEN BEFORE.
atomic811,

I just came back from the emergency room. I was getting so dizzy and staying that way all day. They couldn't figure out why. I stayed 4 hours in the ER. I noticed that while I was in there I started to feel better and completely normal. Then on the way home, I started to get dizzy again. I tried and tried to figure it out and the only outside cause it can possibly be are the cigarettes. I ingested nothing else. I smoked for 24 years so why are they now making me sick? I just now looked it up after I got home. It all makes sense now. I plan on testing my theory by smoking nothing but my own rolls and seeing if there is a difference. I'll post back when I know more.
own rolls? are you talking about making your own cigarettes?
They are something like 20 times worse than the cigarettes that your buy pre-made. Why are you experimenting with smoking anyway? it is a poison you know. It's a bit like saying I'm going to lay in the highway and see how long I can stay there before being run over.
What you need to do is simply quit. Your cardiovascular system is saying "hey, I've had enough, I'm damaged". Listen to your body.
I am 23 years and have always been athletic out going and in shape guy,  I hated smoking didn't want any one smoking around me in my car etc.... Until I was about 20 I hated it ,  I really didn't see why anyone would be addicted to something that makes you stink and kills you.   At the age of 20 I started to date a girl that smoked and started picking up the habit. I had the habit for about three years.  While I had Just started smoking I started to realize shortness of breath at night how I had lost my exciting drive that I once had my stamach hurt after I smoked.  Muscles aching and strong headaches.  I have completely quit as of now and now I feel great all the time I'm excited for the night out or for whatever.  I can breath at night no more stomach pain .  I just never thought that I would ever get addicted to smoking when I was younger ,  but in the end I am. So happy I got enough shut in me to just throw that last pack away when I was throwing up one morning and say I'm done!!  I hope all in all you can quit smoking for yourself and people around you I did.. Godbless you
I recently joined a methodist church where all my friends go. I go because they are there and well.... I think sometimes they mean well but are very much into social engeneering. I would not put it past them to sneak some kind of anti smoking drug into my food , which I have been eating there a lot lately. about three times a week.  After the last prayer breakfast which was great ,  eggs , bacon , suasage , biscuits and gravy , potatoes , coffee , juice and water ... well it was awesome and I had seconds; later in the day I smoked my one of two cigarettes I have each day and I got real sick. It happened again the next day so I have not had one today and have not been as nausious. I would not put it past well meaning friends and family to add some **** like that to your food or drink ... I think it's a crime and a person should be able to quit on their own .. It messes with the mind you know .
It probably is a crime of some degree to drop any drug in your food.  That said, your breakfast sounds criminal as well, so much grease and carbs would have me very, very ill.  It isn't as unhealthy as smoking, but over the long term eating like that is pretty bad for your heart.
If you are really only smoking one or two cigarettes a day, why don't you just quit?  
I'm not sure if there is such a drug that you get hold of? How much coffee did you have? blood pressure will increase a bit after such a large meal, then coffee would increase it more, then a cigarette would increase it even further. I would say swap the cigarette for the coffee, but that would be encouraging you to smoke and not very clever.
That is exactly what is happening to me and my girlfriend. We just searched the internet for the same problem. Not so much the heart issues but definitely the nausea and vomiting. So we switched over to camels thinking Marlboro had a bad batch or something and it stopped. We were smoking the exact same cigarettes as you, Marlboro ultra lights.
I cannot endorse smoking in any form, but just a warning. Here in the UK we have huge problems of imports (fakes) from China. Tobacco and cigarettes enter the country by the 1000's and get into shops. You simply can't tell by the wrapping but they contain nasty chemicals in high doses, such as Lead. It doesn't stop there. Medications are also sneaking in, and the only way to find out if these are fakes is for the manufacturers to test them. They have even been found in Hospitals giving them to patients.
So you live by "his words", which are the old testament, which states we should deal with certain people in violent ways...so you live by that truth? You know you can still believe in your God and know at the same time that the Bible is a well written book from MAN'S perspective of metaphorical and actual occurrences. I am sorry for you if you pick up a stone and throw it...I mean how many of you have read your Bible and realized that when his followers asked if they should give charity or build temples etc Jesus ignored them and told them something else. He didn't say we should. People really misread the bible.
What on Earth are you rambling on about here? That person didn't say anything about scripture and was reaching out for advice. Sounds like you threw the first stone with your arrogance. This isn't a bible bashing forum, it's a heart disease forum.