Heart Disease Expert Forum
Why lipitor if Total Chol < 120 & LDL < 70
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Why lipitor if Total Chol &lt; 120 &amp; LDL &lt; 70

Heart attack  3 months ago.   Stent in RCA.  immediately on self imposed strict diet - 98% vegan.  No oils,  modest nuts.  fish oil capsules.  .Among other drugs, my cardiologist has me on 5 mg lipitor yet wants me to increase to 10 mg.   I asked why as my lipids are holding low   (110 total and 60 LDL)..  He says there are other benefits.  I  understand lipitor may help endothelial health, but so will a quality diet like I am on.  I prefer to keep drug usage low and only as needed as lipitor has side effects as well.   What is the compelling reason for being on lipitor indefinitely if I can keep lipids very low on diet only?   Shouldn't we at least let me go off lipitor a week or so and see the effect?

thanks
Statin medications like lipitor seem to have benefits beyond just cholesterol lowering (anti-inflammatory and blood vessel lining function, etc) and seem to improve outcomes in people with coronary artery disease down to very low LDL levels. They also seem to work as an adjunct to dietary changes. The diet changes that you describe are very important to improvement of your cardiovascular health, though, if you are looking to maximally lower your risk of recurrent heart attack, we would generally recommend continuing therapy with a statin. I hope this helps. Good luck and congratulations for all you have done so far.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank