Heart Disease Expert Forum
Will I have to take medication the rest of my life.

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

I went to see my family doctor October of 97 to get my blood pressure checked, at that time he told me I had a irregular heartbeat. Since then I have been to a cardiolgist, and have went through all the testing.  I have been cardioverted ( shocked ) twice, the last time it stayed in rhythm for several weeks, but now goes in and out of rhythm, I am taking coumidan, cordarone, and a nerve pill.  My doctor tells me that I need to stay on the medication for now, and that in some time they may come up with a cure for this. I go from atrial fibrillation to fluttering.  ( which I understand that fluttering is better )  I really don't want to take medication the rest of my life, especially the cordarone, because it sometimes makes me real week and tired, also I do get some panic attacks that don't last long,   is there anything else i can do.  Also, is it safe to drink regular beer, curently I am drinking Non - Alcohol beer.  ( I exercise 3 - 4 times a week and play golf 2 - 4 times a week )  Please help me !  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jerry
You should not drink alcohol, as it can make afib worse in some people. People on coumadin should also avoid alcohol.
If the amiodarone is causing side effects, there are other medications that can be utilized. There are experimental procedures to cure afib, but I would not recommend them until you have tried several different medications and failed.
I hope this is useful. Feel free to write back. I wish you the best of luck.
If you would like to set up an appointment with one of our cardiologists here at the Cleveland Clinic please feel free to call 1-800-CCF-CARE.
Information provided in the Heart Forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only. Actual diagnosis and treatment of any particular medical condition can only be made by your physician(s).