Heart Disease Expert Forum
Will Lexapro worsen my hypertension?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Will Lexapro worsen my hypertension?

Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male who takes Losartan 100, Toprol xl25 and Hydrochlorothiazide 25.

Recently a psychiatrist prescribed me Lexapro 10mg and Xanax 0.5 twice daily to hopefully treat the anxiety/panic disorder that has made my life very difficult the last few years. However I am concerned as I suffer from high blood pressure and racing heartbeat and now I am afraid to take the Lexapro as I fear its going to worsen my not so good blood pressure and heart rate. Is this a valid cause for concern?  I DONT want higher blood pressure and heart rate.

Should I continue taking the Xanax as prescribed if I dont wish to take the lexa? Also is it possible to just medicate myself on Xanax and skip the antidepressants altogether!? Im not depressed, just anxious and riddled with daily panic attacks.
1 Comment
Blank
The Lexapro should not worsen your high blood pressure. This is not a side effect we generally see with lexapro. I would recommend discussing the need for the xanax and lexapro with your psychiatrist.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank