Heart Disease Community
Will not help himself

This patient support community is for discussions relating to angina, angioplasty, arrhythmia, bypass surgery, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, defibrillator, heart attack, heart disease, mitral valve, pacemaker, PAD, stenosis, and stress tests.

Will not help himself

My husband is a 62 year old black man, in 1998 he had a stroke, 2005 a heart attack had stents put in, 2008 he was diagnosed with prostate cancer had the seeding process. Recently he has decided that the medicine was causing to many side effects and he would only take his high blood pressure medicine when he had heart flutters. He smokes ocassionally and drinks 1-3 times a week. He weighs 195 and is 6'2. What can I do to help my husband?
If he will not take his RX as prescribe what are his chances of survival. The other things is the doctor recently asked him to come in and have his T count checked he refused. He doctor advised that if he was not going to follow his orders that he would have to consult another doctor. He seems to be healthy and doing well, however I know that high blood pressure is the silent killer.
If he has decided that there are too many side effects from his medication, then maybe the Doctor can prescribe some alternatives. There are many brands to try. Every time he has a cigarette his blood pressure will go quite high, this is a side effect. Maybe one compramise could be to take his blood pressure medication if he wants to smoke.
One thing which I find a bit unprofessional is his Doctors attitude. To me, and I'm not a Doctor, it sounds as if he may be heading for depression. A good Doctor would detect these first signs (which are usually denial) and ask him to come in just for a chat. Perhaps a change of Doctors wouldn't be a bad move.
I certainly pray that you are able to get through to your husband.  In my opinion, and this is coming from someone who at one time thought she too was invincible, he is being quite childish and selfish in his motives for not wanting to get any help.  The stroke and heart attack should have been enough to convince him that he does need help in maintaining his health. Do you have any children that may be able to get through to him? I agree with Ed concerning the doctor's attitude, but on the other hand, I can see the doctor's point too.  What's the use in trying if someone doesn't want the help.  I wish I had some magically answer for you, but unfortunatley, not many of us do.  I think you know where he is headed without taking any measures to better his health.  Keep us posted.  I pray you get the strength you will need. As long as he doesn't ahve any symptoms, he thinks he is healthy.  He should know better.  How did his heart attack occur?  I mean, how did he feel just prior to the stroke and heart attack?  Maybe remind him of that. Take care, Ally
If your husband has had a stroke and a heart attack, and is not avoiding the the risks of another stroke or heart attack, the probability is high for another event.  He should be at least taking an aspirin to help avoid clots that lead to a stroke or heart attack.

A doctor will withdraw from further treatment, if his/her instructions are not followed.  Done to avoid any lawsuits.  What are the side effects from the medfication?  Did your husband consult with the doctor regarding side effects...there may be medication and dosage that is more helpful. There isn't much one can do to persuade an individual to do something they do not want to do, and you may have give up attempts to change his mind, and you shouldn't feel guilty about it.  
I believe the reason the doctor said that is he does not want to be held liable for anything wrong that may happen to your husband.  Also, it would be well if your husband could find a doctor who has his respect and whose advice he values.

If your husband has run the full gammet of medication and won't take any of it due to side effects, you might encourage him to do natural things to try to help his health.  Provide him with a diet that is still enjoyable while being heart healthy, a regular exercise regime that you participate in with him for support and accountability, quitting cigarettes (not easy from what I understand), and taking flaxseed oil capsules and magnesium- for blood pressure and mood.  See PM for more info.
Liability? Where? Any patient has the right to refuse to take medication but this is not going to reflect on any Doctor. The notes will simply say the patient refused recommended medication. A Doctor is not allowed to pin you to the floor and force feed you. Independent Doctors at any preliminary court hearing will immediately wipe out any blame aimed at a Doctor in such circumstances even if the patient becomes critically ill.
Personally I think the Doctor is too busy to go that little step further, or hasn't any idea how to treat such circumstances.  
Don't confuse "standard of care" with optional treatment etc. The original post indicates to me there is a refusal for the standard of care for stroke and heart patients.

Loyola School of Law:....  Additionally, when the patient refuses to comply with the established standard of care, doctors MUST utilize release forms waiving themselves of legal liability.

As you say, a signed document obsolves any liability, but if there is a refusal to sign a release form the doctor will resign for self-protection, if there is a signed release form the doctor can be protected, but has the option to continue to treat or not treat. Cases of interest are refusal of medical treatment on the grounds of religion....a third party action that acts on behalf of  their child can have legal action brought against them (parents)  if there is death, etc. when medical treat available was not administered. No one can force someone to be subjected to a medical treatment, but there can be consequences.