Heart Disease Expert Forum
Wolfe-Parkinson White Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Wolfe-Parkinson White Syndrome

I was diagnosed as an infant with WPW in 1974. I am currently 25 years old and concerned about my future.

I've heard more and more cases have been seen about his disease. I still have episodes of fast heartbeats (about once a year), heart "flutters" (about once a week).

My family doctor, Dr. Tom Caven, has recently retired so I don't know what I need to do. He knew most about this WPW disease. I don't know if I should be checked often. I smoke (i know that HORRIBLE) so I think that worsens my case.

My daughter was born with Ventricular Septal Defect and Aortic Coarchtation (???spelling???). The doctors said it wasn't directly associated with my medical condition.

I guess my question is this....IN DETAIL....could you please describe this disease to me? Could you point me in the direction of a good Cardiologist in Austin, Texas that is TOTALLY familiar with this disease?

Originally I was told that I was a case history at St. Judes (whatever that means) and that it was a rare condition.

Please respond via email!

Thank you sooooooooo much!
xxHOLLYxx
Dear  Holly,

WPW is a very common arrhythmia that affects thousands of people.  It results from an extra electrical pathway in your heart that allows electrical circuits to go abnormally fast in your heart and cause a fast heart rate.  

It is very easily treated and cured in 95% of the cases with a procedure called radiofrequency ablation.  this is a procedure similar to a cardiac catheterization that places a catheter into your heart and uses radiofrequency to destroy this extra pathway.  

I do not have any recommendations in austin, but i would suggest that you contact Dr. Mina Chung here at CCF for recommendations of doctors in Austin.

Doctors believe I also have WPW.  I see Dr. Black at Austin Heart Hospital in Austin, TX.  Everyone there has been very helpful.
Thank you for your comments.